Deflation spiral is coming...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MasterGambler, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Don't be surprised. Actually it will be one more breakup in the long history of European attempts for unification. The peoples there are so different and so fanatic about their own race that such unification is impossible.

US market will rally if EU breaks up. It will signal the beginning of another 100 years of dominance of US over these clowns.

#11     Jul 30, 2012
  2. Crispy

Crispy

Bi-flation is here already

Inflation in the things you need.

Deflation in the things you dont.

#12     Jul 30, 2012
  3. plyka

plyka

You people make zero sense. Governments are not all powerful. They cannot "stimulate" the economy, unless they stimulate it by cutting spending and regulations. They can't give everyone free healthcare, or free anything for that matter. They cannot do anything well.

But the one single power they have which cannot be refuted is the ability to make their currency worth less (inflation). The dollar is a fiat currency. They control the supply. The FED has been buying 60% of the bonds the government has issued over the past few years. They can purchase bonds, even more, they can purchase mortage bonds, they can even ppurchase car/credit card loans. Believe me, the private and public debt in the USA dwarfs the amount of real money in the system. If they don't watch out they will do exactly what you seem to think not possible and cause REAL inflation, and by real inflation i mean making the dollar completely worthless.

The funny thing is that you seem to be afraid of deflation. Deflation simply means that your money buys you more things. Not sure why that's so scary. Unless you have too much debt.

#13     Jul 30, 2012
  4. Modern Monetary Theory states that we can create as much money as we need, the only constraint being inflation.

And congress has also told the fed not to worry that much about inflation if creating more money will reduce unemployment.

What I can't understand is why congress wants everybody to be employed by someone else.

I had a job once, it really sucked.

Much better to be in business for yourself.

I could get a little more enthused if congress told the fed, the goal is to get everybody unemployed and in business for themselves.

#14     Jul 30, 2012
  5. Deflation spiral: Banks go under, countries go under... Bad news. Gold and silver goes to the moon.

Inflation spiral: Everything within the system stays stable for a lot longer... Gold and silver rises slowly and steadily.

#15     Jul 30, 2012
  6. apparently you weren't trying to make a living in the 1970's.

Of all the curses God ever inflicted upon mankind, inflation is the worst, nobody can get ahead, not the rich and not the poor.

The best you can do is borrow and hope it just keeps continuing.

It really, really, really is bad, even if you think you are getting ahead when you adjust it for inflation you are at best just breaking even.

No, inflation is really bad, both for you, me, and everybody.

A little aint no big deal, but you start letting it take over and there is Hell to pay.

#16     Jul 30, 2012
  7. jem

jem

#17     Jul 30, 2012
  8. piezoe

piezoe

You have it backwards. Deflation is a disaster for those in debt. It means they will pay their loans with dollars worth more in buying power than the dollars borrowed, it's equivalent to raising the interest rate they pay. Deflation is great for those that are debt free and sitting on a pile of cash.

This is the reason the Fed will not allow deflation to take hold in the U.S.

Also, currently the proportion of Treasuries bought by the Fed is ~20%, not 60%.

#18     Jul 30, 2012