Deflation American Style coming?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Daal, Jan 19, 2008.

1. No it isn't.

#11     Jan 19, 2008
  2. I used to make the same point but I'm now thinking differently. The emerging trend will be labor demanding wage hikes in Asia/South America. Hence we could see higher prices on produced goods vis a vis' expanding pay overseas while U.S. income remains stagnant.

To me it's clear. Deflation of assets and real wages in the developed world coupled with inflation in commodity essentials and "third world" wages. Stagflation.

#12     Jan 19, 2008
  3. Daal

Daal

we are talking about little or no income grow for the population in a period of rising natural resources costs(on real terms).
    that would be a disaster for standards of living, high inflation would too but not as bad

plus these cuts arent like the election driven money supply pump's of 70's. m1 m2 are still growing modestly

#13     Jan 19, 2008
  4. Deflation = PRICES falling

The stagflation period is over as evidenced by the roll-over in real estate, treasury prices, the $100 ceiling on crude oil, and the likely top put in on gold. Gold was formerly a fiat currency until Nixon changed that, but it's not even that anymore. The greedy gold bugs will watch as their years of paper gains are wiped out in days/weeks by the margin calls coming down the pike.

Consumables will hold relative value but will suffer nominal price deflation as well.

Stay-tuned...

:D

#14     Jan 19, 2008