Definition of a trend

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by macrotrader, May 2, 2009.

1. the market is more like soccer/hockey than football.

surf

#21     May 4, 2009
  2. At least we're all in agreement that it's a game! :) :) :)

I grew up playing basketball and football, so both of your analogoies escape me. :confused:

Are those two games more controlled than soccer/hockey?

#22     May 4, 2009
  3. Excuse me . . . try applying real-time data.
    There isn't ANYTHING more real than real-time data applied to one of my Constant Volume/Share Bar Charts. It's a GREEN chart . . . free of the residue of time, transaction or range bias.

#23     May 4, 2009

4. makes no sense. time is inherent in all markets, range is inherent and ofcourse transactions are inherent. this is psychobabble.

surf

#24     May 5, 2009
  5. You are so thick sometimes. . .

Time is a variable (a varying number of contracts or shares are traded each increment of time)

We trade contracts and shares not time.

Range is a variable (a varying number of contracts or shares are traded inside each user defined price range)

We trade contracts and shares not range.

Transactions are variables (a varying number of contracts or shares are traded for each transaction logged)

We trade contracts and shares not transactions.

How do you manage variables . . . standardize them the only way you can and that is in your charting, eliminating the variables using bars in equal increments or contracts or shares. Price, of each share or contract traded and volume of the shares or contracts are the purest ingredients of price action (movement or oscillations) we have at our disposal.

The only "psychobabble" is you thinking that time, range or transactions are tradeable. Let me know your broker, I'd like to know his fees per minute, range or transaction and his schedule for profit based on those increments.

#25     May 5, 2009
  6. Corey

Corey

A potentially beautiful discussion for the mathematical minded ruined by metaphor gibberish. Well done, gentlemen!

Next time I try to use math in my models, I will remember the geniuses at ET and just start blabbering about sports instead...

I doubt the majority of posters in this thread even know what Brownian motion is...

#26     May 5, 2009
  7. http://tr.im/kzGK

#27     May 5, 2009
  8. LOL, perfect.

Three guesses as to who was in control this morning. :D

But they just ran the ball on the ground, it was tough going, and towards the end of the session the Bengal Bulls took possesion of the ball.

Let's see what tomorrow will bring. :)

#28     May 5, 2009
  9. Baseball represents the proper sports analogy (with respect to trends within any market) due to one very important factor - time. Unlike hockey, soccer or football, baseball operates (as does the market) on a fractal basis. While each of the previous analogies (hockey, soccer, and football) limit their play based on a clock, baseball does not. From a fractal standpoint, three strikes make an out, and three outs end one half of an inning.

Just as a trend has an easily identifiable beginning and an end, so too does a baseball game have an easily identifiable beginning and end to an inning. While clearly, one may have no idea how long a particular inning may last (a few minutes, or a few hours), anyone with knowledge of how to play baseball, knows the signs which determine both the start and completion of the inning.

The same holds true with all markets, as they too operate (like baseball) on a fractal basis. Once again, one need not know how long a particular trend may last (a few minutes, a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks). One simply needs to understand the signs for when a particular trend has come to an end. Since all trends overlap, where one trend ends, the next trend begins it turns out.

While all markets operate on the basis of mathematics, they do not do so randomly.

- Spydertrader

#29     May 5, 2009

10. whoa, that's a mouthful to say the least. you eliminate variables by using bars in equal increments of tics?? this would make things more chaotic than time as the creation of tics takes place over variable timeframes thus each bar would be created seperate than standardized time frame creating chaos not order. Only those who don't understand how markets really work would believe such things as you state. it makes no sense.

surf

#30     May 5, 2009