Defining Moment: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by iceman1, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Since 1980, spending has sharply increased when Republicans have held the White House, thereby forcing taxes to be raised inevitably by the Democrats.

Increased spending is essentially the same thing as increased taxes. The first ensures the second.

#31     Oct 19, 2008
  2. Repubs keep Taxes low,they just charge everything for future generations to pay back.nice little gimmick they have there

[​IMG]

#32     Oct 19, 2008
  3. I guess you think Mccain is a beacon of truth

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cLfsG8XKWfw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cLfsG8XKWfw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#33     Oct 19, 2008
  4. mxjones

mxjones

by Marcus Baram

Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama reverberated throughout the world of politics, with lawmakers and pundits across the political spectrum declaring it a huge boost for the Democratic contender.

Former Republican Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich told ABC News, "What that just did in one sound bite... is it eliminated the experience argument."

On the stump today, Joe Biden celebrated the endorsement telling an 11,500-strong rally in Tacoma, Washington that it should put to rest any questions about Obama's readiness to be commander in chief.

"Today we're proud, and I mean this sincerely, very proud to add another critical voice in American public policy and military affairs for the past 25 years to the endormsent list of those who have joined endorsing our ticket, Colin Powell!. Thank you, Colin!"

David Gergen, longtime aide to both Republican and Democratic presidents, called it "the most important endorsement of the campaign."

And an unnamed GOP official told Politico: "This Powell endorsement is the nail in the coffin," said one Republican official, speaking anonymously to offer candid thoughts about the party's nominee. "Not just because of him, but the indictment he laid out of the McCain campaign."

Even Kevin Madden, the telegenic former spokesman for Mitt Romney who's hit the airwaves to support McCain, said:

Endorsements tend to reaffirm what voters already know or like (or dislike) about a candidate's personal and ideological attributes. But the endorsement of Colin Powell is significant because of its timing and the message it sends to swing Democrats and independents... His endorsement is aimed at easing those doubts about Obama's readiness and experience right at the time voters are making their decision on whom they will support on Election Day.

And Norman J. Orenstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, told Politico:

A Powell endorsement now is a huge step to close that sale, to make Obama seem even safer and more attractive as a president.

Susan Eisenhower, the formerly Republican granddaughter of President Eisenhower, who was busy stumping for Obama in southwest Florida today said, "I'd like to associate myself with all the points he made."

But the McCain campaign dismissed the endorsement, with a spokesperson telling WWAY: "John McCain has been endorsed by more than 300 retired generals and admirals. That's over 10 times more than what Senator Obama has received."

#34     Oct 19, 2008
  5. Republicans spend, and leave a mess, which Democrats inherit. To clean up the mess, Democrats (have to) raise taxes, and then fall right into the Republican trap.

If Democrats can find a way to cut taxes, they will neutralize the Republican case and stay in power.

Just think how things might be different now if Clinton had cut taxes big time before leaving office. The only reason Bush was able to cut them in the first place was because of the "surplus" that had been achieved under Clinton and, in part, a Republican House.

#35     Oct 19, 2008
  6. #36     Oct 20, 2008
  7. You guys act like Sept 11 never happened. How was the U.S. supposed to react to this event? Continue the Clinton Defense shrinkage to enable a smaller govt? That's how Clinton "reduced" the size of the U.S. govt., he shrunk military and intel. I'm not saying 9/11 was all Clinton's fault, but shrinking the military and intelligence units certainly didn't help. We are in a new world where the U.S. way of life is either doomed or forced to be lived out in isolation. Many, Obama included, don't realize the real threat of global terrorism and extremism. If the U.S. sits at the table with radical Islamists, jihadists, etc... we are in a position of weakness and will not survive. We try to put our rational view on the situation where rationality does not exist. The U.S. is the great satan in the eyes of our enemies. We cannot make nice with them, we simply must break their will, use intelligence to stay ahead of their plans, and win. Any short term economic successes won't matter because a few concentrated attacks on major cities like N.Y., L.A., and or Chicago will cripple the U.S. and the global economy. Guys living off bugs in caves don't need a strong global economy. In fact, they desire the opposite. Radical Islam is growing stronger and bent on destroying Israel, the U.S. and the global economy, whatever their sacrifice. The vast majority in the West still simply don't get it.

Sadly, I believe many will vote with their wallets and think Obama will in some way fill it for them.

#37     Oct 20, 2008
  8. This kills the rant that somehow Obama is in league with terrorists. Powell has over an 80% approval rating. Make no mistake about it, this hurt McCAin.... big time. I think this along with McCains sudden anouncement to cancel debate to fly to washington because of fanancial crisis... then change his mind.... ........were two of the worst events to have hurt McCain. Powell is solid.... Reps not even attempting to downplay Powell endorsement. All agree this was a huge emdorsement. I knew Powell back in the 80's when he was only a 2 star General.... he was part of my chain of command...... military personnel love and respect Powell.

I am just a tad concerned however with the latest McCain stomp speech about Obama wanting to redistribute wealth.... remains to be seem what total impact that will have. No true American will go for that.... only the well-fare free loaders love that idea.

Overall however, I still believe its to late for McCain to change the tide. FOX news is desperately going out of their way to smear Obama.... but their only preaching to the people that believe the earth is only 6000 years old.

#38     Oct 20, 2008
  9. Pssst - you forgot to call us appeasers.

always always always remember to say 'appeasers"

#39     Oct 20, 2008
  10. There is speculation that Powell will be part of Obama's cabinet ......... IF so, then it will be even bigger news.......

#40     Oct 20, 2008