defining a living thing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Oct 21, 2003.

1. it's really that simple.

#11     Oct 21, 2003
  2. on this issue i may be on the left, but i'm not a leftist. i'm a libertarian, but not even a full blown one. i don't care if my opinion is considered extreme; people can be totally oblivious in so many ways.

as for my posts on ET, we can't say what impact they will have. the world is chaotic. who knows who will read this and the chain of events that may follow. if i save one animal, my posts are worth it.

Butterfly Effect: Due to nonlinearities in weather processes, a butterfly flapping its wings in Tahiti can, in theory, produce a tornado in Kansas. This strong dependence of outcomes on very slightly differing initial conditions is a hallmark of the mathematical behavior known as chaos.
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ButterflyEffect.html

#12     Oct 21, 2003
  3. If there were no cows or pigs or whatever.. I'd eat humans, too

so there :) what does that make me? (besides meat addicted)

Tiki

#13     Oct 21, 2003
  4. #14     Oct 21, 2003

5. I love it when someone uses Leviticus to justify a position. Well then, lets bring back slavery too.

Leviticus 25:44-46:
    "
    However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. "

BTW-I like my steaks medium rare.

DS

#15     Oct 21, 2003

6. The future is now because clearly, you have a body but no brain..Im just amazed at how every time you open your mouth, crap just dribbles out.......What an interstingmoral dilemma you have: On another thread you say that we are NO DIFFERENT then animals or microbes." There is no God and that its Lights out when we die.....So I will ask again: If we are all equal then is it a holocaust everytime you put some Ortho on an ant hill?? and if we are all the same and there is no god and we are all just animals....then why should we not eat anything we want just like the animal kingdom does??

#16     Oct 21, 2003
  7. dude, sometimes you are just silly. you can't even quote me right. please post here the EXACT statement where i said, "we are NO DIFFERENT than microbes." i would really like to see that. i think what you may be referring to is when i said a human's DEATH is no different than an ant's.

to answer your question, yes, bug pesticides are mass killings of living things. people don't care as much, though, because they are tiny and don't appear to be that intelligent. as i said in post 1 in this thread, i believe life is a scale. i'm not saying i've never killed a bug; sure i've probably stepped on some while running, but i avoid killing them if possible.

as for comparing us to wild animals, i've explained this in another post. i have no problem with a lion killing a giraffe in africa. it's survival of the fittest and that's just how things are. the lion NEEDS to do that to survive and probably doesn't feel bad for the other animal. humans don't NEED to kill all these animals. we also are aware they have feelings. even if we continue slaughtering them, we do it brutally when we could put them to sleep instead. we should be above all this stuff (i already am).

#17     Oct 21, 2003
  8. You are such a hypocrite.....you run around wanting to get In God we trust removed from money and the pledge......then you go around preaching animal and bug morality and want us all to drop the hamburger LOL!!! So any sort of religion or morality is WRONG....unless of course its something Gordon believes in .....let me guess , your pro abortion as well????

#18     Oct 21, 2003
  9. Gordon Gekko
    Elite Member

10-18-03 06:48 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from ShoeshineBoy:

"my death or "afterlife" is the same as an ant's, a dog's, a worm's, the pope's, or adolf hitler's. when the pope dies, his afterlife or death will be exactly what adolf hitler got. that is the same i will get. that is the same we all will get NO MATTER WHAT CRAP YOU BELIEVE OR WERE BRAINWASHED INTO BELIEVING." --GG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as unpopular as my statement may be, it makes total sense.

show me something that indicates one man's death/"after-life" is different from any other man's.

furthermore, show me how any man's death is different than a dinosaur's or a microscopic bug's.

:D

#19     Oct 21, 2003
  10. GG - Your logic and convoluted thinking and probably trading display all the symptoms of the dangers of a meat free diet.
    The last thing any of the rest of us would want to do is take your advice and turn out similarly.

#20     Oct 21, 2003