DeFi - going bankless

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Sprout, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Sprout

Sprout

I'm exploring the same thing on a different path - the wrapping of btc as a ERC-20. It's allowing for maintaining exposure to the underlying and also accruing value as being a part of an LP pair earning fees.

#21     Sep 20, 2020
    johnarb likes this.
  2. johnarb

johnarb

I love btc, in my view, it's the best version of gold (SoV) that could have been thought of. The value is derived from the trust in its scarcity and is proven by the enormous amount of energy and resources to produce 1 bitcoin through mining.

When I de-risked a couple of days ago, bitcoin became my biggest holding although yesterday, CEL was mooning and it surpassed my btc holding and the 2 are close in value, currently.

A sidenote, my Tezos position has been cut down to a small position, 7th in my portfolio, I've been selling it off for about 2 weeks now, was sad doing it as it had been my all-in holding during the bear market and it has saved me. I can always re-enter if it pumps hard or with significant news. Cannot fall in love with a stock, or in this case, crypto...

#22     Sep 20, 2020
  3. johnarb

johnarb

Did you say meme? https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/degenerator-meme/

I'm not in it and not looking to buy in, but apparently Andre Cronje excitedly tweeted about purchasing an NFT and how it can be the next revolution in p2p marketplace (but $MEME had already been mooning before that).

#23     Sep 20, 2020
    Sprout likes this.
  4. Sprout

Sprout

#24     Sep 20, 2020
    johnarb likes this.
  5. johnarb

johnarb

It's risk vs reward. Bitcoin maxis will tell you just hold bitcoin, but the truth is I've seen posts on bitcointalk (wall observer) of hodlers inquiring about (passive) income on bitcoin and some would bring up BlockFi. Of course majority responses reject the idea of depositing their btc's on a centralized entity, but bottom line, there is no income generation from holding btc, only capital (price) appreciation.

In my opinion, risk-reward, low to high, risk and yields, BlockFi, Celsius, then smart contract wrapped-btc's.

I don't know if I'll ever use the wrapped btc's since I have a lot of other erc-holdings that produce much higher yields than wrapped btc's, but one comment is that try to use a single-asset or a high ratio (98%/2%) to minimize the IL risk.

On the subject of impermanent loss, experienced it badly yesterday. I derisked 2-3 days ago on all my DeFi coins and in the process re-entered yield farming Cream/USDC, thinking hey, what could go wrong, that's a stablecoin pair, well, Cream had burn news, coin went up from when I entered the pool at $60'sh, and is now $116, so I'm making bank, well sort of, last night I simulated the m2m profits and yea, LP was worth $5K more, but I had about 50 Cream tokens less than when I entered the LP (as a single-asset and the platform converts 50-50).

Anyway, TL;DR, the LP would have offered price-crash protection of Cream, but also limited upside, and if that was my goal, that would have been fine, but it wasn't, I was bullish on Cream at that "low" price. I re-entered Cream only LP staking last night so no more IL risk.

And to belabor the IL concept. I'm trying to find the best yields with the lowest risk and setteled on the YFV platform yesterday (not a recommendation, just offering a viewpoint). They have a lot of Balancer pools farming/staking with great yields but at 98/2 ratio much less IL risk. I deposited all of my YFI and all of my LEND cryptos and will see what happens. They have some wrapped btc's BPT farming/staking as well.

I did not purchase any YFV tokens but earning quite a bit now as the yield is payable in YFV cryptos which I'm planning to re-stake (every week) on the platform for even higher yields and convert all YFV's to stablecoins after a month. That's the plan, we'll see if I get rekt, lol. Two risks, YFV smart contract platform and Balancer pool smart contract, but the latter has been battle-tested proven for a while now.

https://yfv.finance/

#25     Sep 20, 2020
    They and Sprout like this.
  6. Sprout

Sprout

#26     Sep 20, 2020
    They and johnarb like this.
  7. Sprout

Sprout

Yeah, I went to stablecoins last week and re-evaluating opportunities. Either gonna play more with Aave, Compound and Yearn with LP deposits or just focus on trading outright. I'm finding most of the crypto trading platforms lacking compared to futures platforms.

Cream had a great pop, not sure if the Andre tweet was the catalyst.

#27     Sep 20, 2020
    johnarb likes this.
  8. Sprout

Sprout

omg, this thing was ~$6 about a month ago. Noobs gonna get rekted

#28     Sep 20, 2020
    johnarb likes this.
  9. johnarb

johnarb

I don't use FTX but maybe that's what you're looking for as a crypto trading platform?

Cream has a maximum supply of 9M tokens so fully diluted valuation marketcap was much higher than peers that are more mature (i.e AAVE, Compound) based on its price.

Circulating supply is about 150K tokens, much less, but the uncertainty of the max supply was an issue, hence the burn, and the pop. As the Cream price was going down last night (dipped below $100), they introduced a new product/service called CreamY, which is a money-market interest-rate bearing, going after the Curve business. This is what Andre tweeted on.

Cream now has lending/borrowing platform (forked from Compound smart contract, Comp is one of the advisors getting lots of Cream tokens), Cream also has AMM (forked from Balancer smart contract), and Cream also has Creamswap (I think just using the Balancer swap/exchange features), and last night, they introduced CreamY which may or may not be a fork of Curve.

Cream is vertically integrating all the DeFi products in their platform, or is trying to and every single Cream Team member voted against accelerated vesting, which their seed investors and advisors got.

ok, enough Cream shilling, lol....

#29     Sep 20, 2020
    Sprout likes this.
  10. johnarb

johnarb

Rent-seeking has been turned upside down by the pandemic. All those North Cali real estate purchased for use in Air-bnb and the likes, all the small landlords renting out to low-income and unable to pay their mortgages, and the retirees putting their nest egg on the safest investment (real-estate) and renting unused rooms, suddenly find themselves with no income due to rent and eviction moratoriums.

Cryptos are the most liquid investment assets, available 24/7/365 more than stocks :D no need for 30-day escrow for availability of funds from real estate sale, just use stablecoins to lock in the value.

Celsius is centralized finance but kept honest by a community of Celsians watching their business moves on a transparent blockchain. Alex talks incessantly about the parasitic rent-seeking banks and there's a video every week with about the same message, unbank yourself :cool::vomit:

#30     Sep 20, 2020
    Sprout likes this.