Defenseless Dollar?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by claywilk, Jul 4, 2006.

1. hahahaha!

Its amazing that it took a communist government to beat the champions of capitalism at their own game. All the foreigners are doing is defending their investments from the thieves that are trying to devalue their way out of the abyss.

#11     Jul 4, 2006
  2. Free floating currency? That is a novel idea maybe we should try it! With major countries enjoying behemoth current account surpluses by fixing their exchange rates and being allowed to compound the problem by using slave labor, AND by tying the worlds largest commodity to the currency of a net importer of that commodity, AND with every Treasury, Finance Ministry and Central Bank setting policies to manipulate currency values, the notion of a "free floating" currency is a laughable notion. The real Question is will the Bush Administration give us a break and support the dollar or let us die on the vine while supporting their new world order?

BTW the Treasury Secretary is the sole US official charged with dollar policy. He has large caches of foriegn reserves to use for this very purpose. Robert Rubin used these resources very effectively. The Fed on the other hand keeps dollar policy in mind but normally coordinates actions directly intended to effect the dollar with the Treasury.

#12     Jul 4, 2006
  3. With the conservatives actually believing that the Fed is the only one that has any responsibility moderating growth and containing inflation, will (has) the economy evolve to a point where even a bulldozer pushing the string will be ineffective?

#13     Jul 4, 2006

4. Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood dimm'd tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

- W. B. Yeats (edited)

#14     Jul 4, 2006
  5. oy. look at the chart. at 75, the dx is not excessively depreciated.

#15     Jul 4, 2006
  6. my goodness.. people trust you with capital?

no one has beaten anyone. and everyone -- well, everyone who has reflected upon it for more than a moment or two, with a sound mind -- knows that alleged "anti-capitalists" are some of the most effective traders in world. because, you see, everyone with capital is a capitalist at heart. Some just don't admit it, because they hold themselves as immune to playing by the rules.

#16     Jul 4, 2006
  7. I think it would be good for manufacturing, really bad for good savers like me that are holding a whole lot of USD. Damn ! Why can't the Euro go back down to 1.20 so I can dump my USD :(
    My friend in Canada believes that's why the Canadian economy made a comeback starting 20 years ago. Everything was cheap there so ppl invested there and bought products/resources from there. I think it could work, but how much would the Euro Zone allow there currency to go up. At some point over 1.30 ppl stop buying and visting Europe because it costs too much. A balancing act of sorts.

#17     Jul 4, 2006
  8. Didn't look at charts. Only answered a general question in an accurate way.

#18     Jul 5, 2006
  9. Capitalizm will destroy itself by debasing its currency-- Lenin :D

#19     Jul 5, 2006
  10. ya, who needs the gold when one has the golden goose!?:confused:

#20     Jul 6, 2006