Defending student loans and the American education system.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jueco2005, Jun 14, 2010.

1. You have a couch I could come crash on for a few weeks? ;)

#41     Jun 15, 2010
  2. Sad to say that college has become more a place to pick up a trade and for learning for its own sake. Too expensive, unless you are real wealthy.

#42     Jun 15, 2010
  3. pupu

pupu

CPA is important? BULL!
    I got mine 6 years ago an it only got me TWO entry level paying job interviews. (Much more than my second tier MBA that got me none)

Thanks god I have other skills because both my MBA and my CPA turned out to be totally worthless.

MBA's and CPA's are a dime a dozen. plenty of foreigners are getting/got them in huge numbers and are much more attractive to hiring companies

#43     Jun 15, 2010
  4. jem

jem

jueco -- good thread...

my suggestion is that you go to school and start a tax business or some other kind of business while in school as your fall back. Start some of kind tax and book keeping website with some programmers you meet back in school.

You may have to make you own way during the next 10 years. My thesis is that we have 20-30 percent too many people working in service industries because of the cheap money that was available for the 15 or so years prior to 2008.

And many of that service and finance excess moved down to florida and will be working as Realtors - builders - lawyers and cpas for the next decade.

If you are going to be underemployed back east - you may as well be warm. You will need an edge.. an that edge is customers.

#44     Jun 15, 2010
  5. Thank you bro

#45     Jun 15, 2010
  6. I dont mean to be disrespectful but I dont believe you. Even when all this depression here in Miami, if you were a CPA and MBA you have a job TOMORROW.

#46     Jun 15, 2010
  7. ashatet

ashatet

"Tomorrow". There are top students from top schools with MBA and financial mathematics who can not find jobs.

The only people in demand are electrical engineers and computer science majors.

#47     Jun 16, 2010
  8. funny just yesterday while with a friend something came up about patriotism, patriotism is stupidity I said to my friend, usually the more poor the person the more patriotic he is

ya he said, what's up with that?!

I said there are many reasons for it, poor people have not achieved shit in life, thus they don't have much to be proud up, they cling to stupid ideas like patriotism to have something to be proud of, second they assume that if their country grows stronger and wealthier that they will automatically obtain wealth and power they never had, like how black people thought that if they vote for obama, he will hand them free money, but look at them now, the economy is deteriorating like crap, america is in deep shit, and blacks are suffering more than before, third, poor people don't have any investments let alone investments in countries besides their own, thus they know shit about countries besides the one they live in

a wealthy and wise person knows well that all countries are shit, that the world is what you make out of it, and that all governments are motherfucking traitors that will fucking rape you, your life and that of your kids in the blink of an eye, that government employees are fucking scums, losers and shit faces, every one of them regardless of their position, country and the government they work for, that it is the ultimate form of stupidity to defend let alone to die for any country or government

you're fucking poor and stupid, you went into debt 100K just to earn 40-50K a year by working at least 40 hours a week and you're proud of it?! I can earn that money in any country by working with less than 100K and only 2-4 hours a week

#48     Jun 18, 2010
  9. Defending something on the basis that it is not as bad as in a 3rd world communist dictatorship is not exactly a strong argument. That's like saying someone is a good boxer because they don't gas out after 1 minute of the first round.

I'm more interested in the comments on the Miami economy. Try to think a bit more entrepreneurial, less like the typical employee mentality. Think back to the early 90s, or better still the early 80s - South Beach was a *toilet*, full of geriatrics and drug dealers. I bet most people back then were moaning about the deprivation, crime, and lack of jobs. The people who didn't moan but instead looked for opportunities made millions over the next 10-20 years.

Maybe that will happen this time too. Miami is a boom bust town due to the lack of land and the unique location combined with 2-tier economy (shitty jobs at the bottom, stinking rich at the top, little in between - like a lot of Latin America). That means if you can establish a position and start accumulating assets and contacts in the down phase, you are uniquely positioned to make a killing during the up phase. Being an employee in such a volatile economy is maybe not so good as being a trader or at least a rider of booms and busts.

#49     Jun 18, 2010
  10. You and only yourself have revealed your level of ignorance and mediocrity.

Yet I am impressed you are so right about the issue on patriotism. I must say I agree with you 100%.

#50     Jun 18, 2010