Defending student loans and the American education system.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jueco2005, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Probably, but in Accounting/Finance they are more concern about you knowing what a cash flow report is.

#31     Jun 14, 2010
  2. I doubt you could afford me. But I would teach you both ECO 101 and ACC 101 for free.

#32     Jun 14, 2010
  3. aegis

aegis

You're wasting your time and money pursuing a second masters degree. Funny that an econ major with an MBA doesn't realize this. Just pick up the accounting credits. Accounting firms, even the Big 4, couldn't care less about your degree(s). The CPA is more important.

#33     Jun 14, 2010
  4. During the next 12 months I will complete a 21 upper level accounting credits at FIU(http://business.fiu.edu/chapman/cfaa/index.cfm). After that I will just need 15 more upper level accounting credits. However, FIU masters in Accounting (the only way to get more credits after the graduate certificate) is an accelerated 30 credit 10 month program. Now I ask you.

Despite completing the necessary 36 credit to be a CPA, does it make sense to leave school just 4 or 5 months before earning a master in accounting from one of the best business and accounting universities on earth??

5 months is nothing to me man. I will complete it.

#34     Jun 14, 2010
  5. I am just a Financial Analyst without any seniority. Do not have local education make over 80K.
    My guess is that you are in real estate mortgage business, anytime I see someone with Senior, Lead or even VP in finance most of them from failed companies.
    If you are smart move to another state.
    And in California you only need 24 units of accounting to seat for CPA exam, by the way I am a CPA.

#35     Jun 14, 2010
  6. the1

the1

Why is it so hard for those who are employed to figure out that if you don't have a job your chances of finding one are next to nothing in the current job market. I have a Master's Degree in Computational Finance and if I were looking for a job right now I'd be shit out of luck. Thankfully I have my own business to fall back on. I know a shit load of highly educated people who don't have a pot to piss in. Good luck to the OP. I don't think getting more education and acquiring more debt is going to solve your problems but I guess you have to try something.

#36     Jun 14, 2010
  7. That's nice, I am happy for you. Unfortunately I can't move out of florida. I work for a concrete company, were virtually selling nothing for nothing. Its very depression down here in miami but I know better times lie ahead. I am merely adding to my belt while helping my cash flow.

Thank you.

#37     Jun 14, 2010
  8. Getting more education for me has a name a MSA. It will help me in the future by acquiring the CPA and making me a good CFO candidate. At the present time it helps me with the much needed cash flow by deferring student loan payments.

#38     Jun 14, 2010
  9. Im doing an MBA in Miami and its a shithole for jobs. Its all service industry and ex-real estaters, who are all accustomed to making dick right now, crowding the market and there isnt as much MBA-esque work in this town as you would think. I was lucky/prescient enough to have started my transition away from RE before the fallout and figure out where I wanted to be early, but still had to scrap and harass the entire school year to get my summer gig, as did anyone else who got a decent job and some that didnt get anything.

The girls here are stunning though. Dumb as rocks and shallow as the kiddie pool, but good lord we have a few things going for us..

That said, if you manage to make good money in this town I can imagine it would be your oyster, but good luck. Hopefully Ill let you know next May...

#39     Jun 14, 2010
  10. MattF

MattF

Well, I guess you're kind of "tied" to your job/paycheck then to make something while you head back...and was also looking.

I would almost get myself fired/quit or something, then collect unemployment...at least THAT would not only give you the money that was made (or maybe more?), but can:

1. Help defer student loans (depending on where you got them from).

2. Free up a TON of time not only to study (even going back to school still), but also look for something better, period...whether there or in a completely different area.

Hope it works out...again, just because you're getting something from the "best school" around still doesn't guarantee jack. But I would utilize the contacts there and start looking in new areas. Make it as a chance to start anew elsewhere.

#40     Jun 15, 2010