Defending student loans and the American education system.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jueco2005, Jun 14, 2010.

1. It's a little disturbing that an MBA appears unable to do a simple cost-benefit analysis on his own situation.

I would certainly be hesitant about bringing this kind of attitude into my company.

#11     Jun 14, 2010
  2. Too f'ing bad. They should go back "home."

#12     Jun 14, 2010
  3. dalengo

dalengo

Really?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Cuba ::
    "The US State Department tries to dismiss the quality of Cuban education by claiming that Cuba has been among the most literate countries in Latin America since well before the Castro revolution[31]. A UNESCO study showed, however, that the third and fourth graders in Cuba held the highest level of achievement in mathematics and language skills compared to other Latin American countries.[32]"

Cubans also built an excellent health system. Is it also available only to party elite?
    Pres Obama promised to end that silly US blockade of Cuba but he did not - so we cannot go to the meetings organized in Cuba etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba_embargo
    "The Helms-Burton Act has been the target of criticism from Canadian and European governments in particular, who resent the extraterritorial pretensions of a piece of legislation aimed at punishing non-U.S. corporations and non-U.S. investors who have economic interests in Cuba. In the Canadian House of Commons, Helms-Burton was mocked by the introduction of the Godfrey-Milliken Bill, which called for the return of property of United Empire Loyalists seized by the American government as a result of the American Revolution (the bill never became law). Furthermore, the European Parliament in 1996 passed a law making it illegal for EU citizens to obey the Helms-Burton act."

On the other hand, one should remember that there is little outpost of a free world in Cuba: Guantanamo.

#13     Jun 14, 2010
  4. just to summarize OP situation:

in Cuba: no chance to get a college degree, no chance to get a decent job, no chance of getting 100K of debt

in US: can get a college degree, might get a decent job someday (maybe after putting on more debt), 100K of debt already

it is questionable that US system is better based on the above.

#14     Jun 14, 2010
  5. What's questionable is your mental capacity.

You married your half-sister, right?
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2848851#post2848851

Is inbreeding a tradition in your family?

#15     Jun 14, 2010
  6. I think 2 reasons:

1- I live in Miami, this region is in a "depression". Construction and tourism are the two mayor industries.

2- I have just 3 yrs of experience competing with guys and new college grads.

I know many friends of mine in worse shape.

#16     Jun 14, 2010
  7. The goal here is to get a masters in accounting and sit for the CPA. The whole thing will add 25,000 to my 100K debt.

At the end I will have a MBA a MsA and CPA. I think is a good deal.

#17     Jun 14, 2010
  8. I dont care about politics.

And that is not the topic here.

#18     Jun 14, 2010
  9. The Cuban way is different for both females and males you only leave home when you get married. Plus, its a shame when your parents dont make an effort to take u to college. Always exceptions of course.

#19     Jun 14, 2010
  10. No one is forced to come here. I dont like many things that happen in America but guess what, I am a foreigner with no home so I shut the #### up.

America is my home, where I found freedom and hope.

#20     Jun 14, 2010