Defective Pixels - How many do you find?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TGregg, Jan 25, 2003.

1. No problem.

I have no idea how PC World could mislead people like this, they rate the Dell #5, and then go on to say how Great it is and it has the Widest viewing angle, etc...

BTW, I paid $899 for the Samsung + shipping.

I then bought the dell 2 weeks later, I just happened to be visiting their site when I noticed that the Dell looked Identical to my Samsung. I called the 800 # they had no idea it was a Samsung, all they said was that Dell was not the OEM. I later confirmed with their tech department.

I also just purchased (last week) a Canon Powershot S45 digital for $449 + Free shipping, no one else even comes close. I don't know how they do it.

#31     Jan 26, 2003
  2. TGregg

TGregg

From what I understand there are 3 subpixels in a dot on the screen. So, when one (or more )of the sub pixels fails, you'll see a strangely colored got, or a black one. Most OL retailers will not consider an LCD monitor defective unless it has more than a set number of defective pixels (typically 5-9).

#32     Jan 26, 2003
  3. This is correct, some want 10 or more pixels in the "SAME" zone/quadrant what a Kroc of Sh!t.

This is the #1 reason I bought from Dell, 30 day return policy, no questions asked, I know of nobody else that offers this kind warranty. :D

I know of several friends that have bad pixels and could not return the monitor :mad:

Edit: I received 6 monitors and all were fine, I am not sure how common this problem might be with other manufacturers.

#33     Jan 26, 2003
  4. do you set the monitor to a white background and look for blackouts or is there something else to it?

Thanks

#34     Jan 26, 2003
  5. Yes.

I chose a White background and searched the screen very carefully. I figured if I couldn't find it with White, then I should be fine.

According to Dell tech, you will know the minute you turn on your screen. :D

#35     Jan 26, 2003
  6. ...WWW.PLANAR.COM HAS A 19" LCD MODEL CT1905S WITH .242 PIXEL PITCH AND 300:1 CONTRAST RATIO. THEIR FAQ SECTION READS "PLANAR WILL CONSIDER REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF A MONITOR WITH 3 OR MORE NON-RESPONSIVE SUB-PIXELS, CALL OUR SUPPORT LINE AT 866-752-6271."...I AM CONSIDERING THIS MODEL OR THE SAMSUNG 191T.

#36     Jan 26, 2003
  7. You get what you pay for. I was in a retail store yesterday and was scoping LCD's. There was a 17" KOGI running for a cheap $350. There was over 5 dead pixels on the screen that I could readily and easily identify. Usually a white or black background will do the trick.

#37     Jan 27, 2003
  8. Thanks Option Attack, gnome, Zuizo, TCGreen and others for all of your contributions and feedback. Right b4 X-mas, Samsung was running a ridiculous rebate on some of their monitors. $150 off on their 17" for example. I found the Samsung 15" model to be very clean and clear for under $300 with a current $90 rebate on the table. I can not believe how much you step up in price to go 17" or greater. From what I have seen the last couple of days, it looks like its down to Sony, Samsung, and possibly a Viewsonic. Viewsonic has $100 rebates right now on several LCD models. As far as Dell goes and other brands that I can not preview in retail stores, I am not sure at this point. Circuit City is very appealing at first glance because they will absolutely NOT charge you any sort of restocking fees.

One other model I was very surprised at how clean the picture looked was a 15" NEC.

#38     Jan 27, 2003
  9. gnome

gnome

I got a KOGi last week for a cheapo price of $279 after rebate. No dead pixels. Excellent display quality.

#39     Jan 27, 2003
  10. Its so ironic that you said that...........because when I first saw the KOGi, I was blown away at the clarity and quality of the picture also, especially at that price point. I could not even see the dead pixels until I totally blacked out the background. Sometimes as you get into the lower price points, this is a matter of the luck of the draw. You can probably just bring it back.

Keep me informed at to how it works out for you.

#40     Jan 27, 2003