Defective Pixels - How many do you find?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TGregg, Jan 25, 2003.

1. TGregg

TGregg

From what I know (and this will be my very first LCD purchase), they have a set limit of the number of defective pixels that make a defective unit, and that number is usually 5 to 9. So, in general, you are hosed. However, your specific circumstances may be different, and email is free, so I'd check and see.

#11     Jan 25, 2003
  2. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-0249

Well I just bought (6) Samsung 191T monitors thru Dell, 1900FP, I paid $624 each with Free shipping. I am ordering 2 more. These monitors are awesome. I previously had a Trinitron 19" CRT, I liked it for its time. Times are new, all CRTs SUCK.

BTW, not only was Dell the cheapest, but they have a 30 day NO questions asked return policy. This is the #1 reason I bought thru Dell, no one else even came close. Be very careful with bad pixels.

Go to ebates.com first and you can save 2% off your DELL or CompUSA purchase, plus many other stores.

"Quote"
    Conclusion
    Only once in a while does a product truly impress us. Occasionally a product comes along and just blows our socks off. Normally, we would let you all know now that day is today. However, the 191T does have its pitfall: the price. We mentioned earlier that the difficulty in producing almost 4 million transistors slightly thicker than a human hair is ‘complicated’. Certain levels of quality must be kept for a company like Samsung to deliver. Most online retailers sell the SyncMaster 191T around 1150 USD.

The image was acceptable. Incredible for an LCD actually. The response time (25ms) gave us a very smooth display.

For many, the price on the 191T is justifiable. If price is no object, the 191T is the best 19" LCD on the market. As we have pointed out, the features are excellent. Performance on the Samsung was at par or better than most CRTs, while other advantages put it well ahead. Low power consumption, (near) zero heat generation, dual inputs, practically no glare, the small footprint, a 13lb weight; all combined into the sleekest looking monitor any of us have ever seen. Hospitals, offices, and other tight working places could benefit with the 191T. Gamers beware, however, as the 191T shares the same streaking problem that plagues the vast majority of LCD monitors on the market. For our first LCD review we have to thank Samsung for sending us such an excellent product. Those not on a budget will find themselves getting a solid, dependable, quality monitor. "Unquote"

#12     Jan 26, 2003
  3. Got two Sony SDM-S81s and Matrox G550 AGP on XP. These monitors look perfect to me, with no dead pixels.

CRTs?

NEVER AGAIN!

#13     Jan 26, 2003
  4. Ok, I'm game. Just read this thread and I could use some new screens also. Monday morning will see me order this stand and four of the 18.1" screens. I will probably upgrade my video cards at the same time. Which ones are you running these through? Or should I say, which ones do you wish you would have gotten? I currently have a couple of Matrox cards but they can be upgraded too! :)

#14     Jan 26, 2003
  5. TGregg

TGregg

#15     Jan 26, 2003
  6. Zuizo

Zuizo

OK...

Couple of caveats.

1. The Ergotron stand is newly designed this year and I do not know if it sets up as nicely as last years model.
    I got last years model, it has a "double joint" that allows you to pivot the monitor from right to left AND up and down.
    The reason I mention this, when I configured my Quad, the bottom 2 screens are tilted up about 2.5 times more than the top 2 are tilted down. *** In order to get perfect symmetry I had to remove the joints that rotated left to right in the upper 2 monitor stands for a "seamless look".
    The new model may work just as well, maybe even better, I don't know... the new model looks better if you want more of a left to right tilt. You may want to talk to the salesman and see if you can get last years model as a leftover... maybe even get a break in the price.

2. The reason I went with the 18.1" screens, was the 19" was about $380.00 more per screen last year. It wasn't cost justified. However today, the 2 sizes are about the same price... ( I went with Silver bezel... looks cool when set in a Quad format, but bezel comes in black too)

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=552795/ut=42bd514544341cc4

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=584086/search=181T/ut=42bd514544341cc4

it appears that dell re-badged the 191T and may have the best price... F trader said he got his for $624, here they are at $716...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-0249

3. I use a Matrox G200 Quad MMS. Brand new they go for $800 at Matrox. I bought mine on Ebay BRAND NEW for $155. An example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2303228192&category=3762

4. If you want to go digital (recommend it) instead of analog then you need DVI cables. $60 bucks each new at matrox, $120 total... or $25 new on Ebay, $50 total...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2303326771&category=3697

So there you go dude. You now have 1 stop shopping at the best prices on the web!

*** I would grill the sales guy at Ergotron, my bottom 2 monitors (because of the tilt factor ratio) need to stick out about 2.25" further than my top 2 monitors. I could only achieve that by having the option of removing the "joints" in the top 2 monitor stands that flex from "left to right"( this gave me the 2.25" reduction I needed). When I look at the new Quad model... I'm not sure if that can be achieved properly. The New model might be best for a 6 monitor set up as it would be more important to have the "left to right" tilt factor than "up and down" tilt factor.

Best.

-- Z

#16     Jan 26, 2003
  7. gnome

gnome

To go "digital", do you need digital video cards as well as DVI cables?

TIA :D

#17     Jan 26, 2003
  8. Zuizo

Zuizo

With Matrox you need both.

1 Matrox G200 Quad MMS is both a digital/analog video card (comes with analog cables free)

to go digital, you need to buy 2 DVI cables (which power up 4 monitors total)

-- Z

#18     Jan 26, 2003
  9. TGregg

TGregg

The Dell is not a rebadged 191T, it has different specs.

That's a good price on a quad card. Another option to get 4 more monitors is to buy two duals from NewEgg for $98 each.

#19     Jan 26, 2003
  10. TGregg

TGregg

Be advised that many places (like NewEgg) sell the OEM versions which come with no cables. Check carefully before you shell out money.

#20     Jan 26, 2003