def censored...that sucks ..post your opinion

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cdntrader, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Def works for IB. We don't allow brokers to carry on customer relations (sales, support, etc.) through our forums unless they are a sponsor of the site.

The forums are for members to discuss issues with other members, not as an outlet for firms to carry on Q&A sessions with their customers or potential customers.

The main problem with def's posting is that it was setting a bad precedent, as sales/support staff of other firms like esignal, Tradestation, and several others were starting to use the forums in the same manner, which ultimately led to me getting numerous complaints about non-authorized commercial vendors coming on the boards. So it's time to start cracking down.

This issue with IB is not new. I brought it up already in a previous thread three months ago, where def himself said "I do believe you were in no way out of line to make your posting."

That thread was left with Def going to IB corporate to see if we could work something out. For reasons not disclosed to me, def was unable to work out anything, as it's been three months now and there has been no progress.

Let me make this point clear. Nobody is trying to keep members from discussing issues related to IB. We are simply trying to keep the forums from becoming a free-for-all where vendor representatives can come on and do whatever they want.

I learned years ago that some people will not agree with the decisions made here no matter what they are. So for those who are mad, you can now go ahead and start bashing me. :) In fact, thug_life (previously known last week as "New_2_this" and the week before as "penniewise") should be the one to start it off since he seems to be totally obsessed with attacking me.

#21     Mar 4, 2002
  2. Yoda

Yoda

Def, in my opinion, brought so much "free" traffic to this board, that he should get paid, not censored...
    And, of course if no traffic, who would pay to advertise...?:confused:
    Only time will tell...

Bob

#22     Mar 4, 2002
  3. After hearing what Baron said, I have to say that I agree with him. Basically IB had an open forum to help their traders with software issues and help with their accounts, probably saving them thousands in customer service help.

I do think if firms are using it to the degree that IB was, I definitely agree that Baron should be paid something for maintining lines and servers that the firms are benefitting from.

But I also do like def's participation here.

By the way, whatever the advertising rate is, I hope that Bright is paying 50-times as much as anyone else for all the spam they are posting.

#23     Mar 4, 2002
  4. trdrmac

trdrmac

:mad:

Initially I found this site while searching for direct access brokers. What keeps me coming back is the flow of good ideas from the people who post. Many of the questions I have seen Def answer are very technical or esoteric and he addresses them very professionally. As a business man I would want to keep people who are asked for by name by so many posters around as a pure business matter.

Products that I have purchased/ used in part because of Elite Trader posts and comments.

Brokers (2)
    Books (a lot)
    Quote Service (1)
    Charting Service (1)

But what do I know Im still in my pajamas, the ones with the feet sowed in no less..

#24     Mar 4, 2002
  5. "So for those who are mad, you can now go ahead and start bashing me. :) "

I have no problem with vendor representatives posting here. It's when they hype without substance that it is annoying.

Def never hyped..imho.

"We don't allow brokers to carry on customer relations (sales, support, etc.) through our forums unless they are a sponsor of the site. "

"We are simply trying to keep the forums from becoming a free-for-all where vendor representatives can come on and do whatever they want. "

I think you need to rework your policy for vendor representatives. Shutting them down won't win you any new advertising;)

And why wouldn't they advertise here? It's a great site..if you let it be;))

#25     Mar 4, 2002
  6. If you would stop censoring honest criticism of Nassar and TerraNova, I would have no problem with you. You HAD a great site. Now you have a giant TerraNova ad.

From the other censorship thread of the day:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...ght=Market+Wise

This thread was censored like crazy. Not to mention Baron's glowing praise of Market Wise.

BTW, Ron Mayer is Nassar's instructor, which he failed to mention in his praise of his own company.
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...=6&pagenumber=3
    (page 3 of the same thread)

#26     Mar 4, 2002
  7. agent99

agent99

"And why wouldn't they advertise here? It's a great site..if you let it be;))"

Ya. Silicon Investor used to be a great site too. Look what's happened to that after the owners meddled with a good thing. It's dead.

#27     Mar 4, 2002
  8. Baron,

I run a fairly big board myself over here in germany. About 1000 visitors a day. I am very happy that some vendors stop by every now and then to help in solving problems.

I have total understanding for part of what you're saying. If you have a no-acquisition policy, that's easy to understand. Why should sponsors be paying if it was different?

On the other hand, what def did was no sales, acquisition or any of that kind. When I saw his posts, they clearly referenced discussions that were going on in the board, started by members, and not related to selling anything. So, at best, his postings may be considered technical support. But I think def did more than just that. He participated in the discussions, being a valuable part without which many discussions would have run out of fuel. Discussions that make this board a platform that sponsors are willing to pay for.

Maybe you should draw the line a little closer to the "sales" edge and refrain from censoring posts that mainly serve the purpose of helping active members of EliteTrader.

Wonko

#28     Mar 4, 2002
  9. Eldredge

Eldredge

I posted my feelings about the censorship on these boards a while ago. Baron has the right to do what he wants with the board, but I do think it is unfortunate that people will come here thinking that they are reading unbiased information when they are actually reading posts that have been filtered to protect the advertisers.

As far as def goes, I came to ET for the IB discussions, and they are the main reason I stay. If def posts somewhere else, I will follow him. I think Baron may underestimate the amount of traffic def generates. I haven't ever seen def hype IB.

#29     Mar 4, 2002
  10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Gene Weissman is an advertiser. His firm sponsors the self-employment forum.

I agree, the same standards should be, and will be, applied to Hitman just as they apply to def and any other firm representative.

#30     Mar 4, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.