Deer ticks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fireplace, Oct 17, 2010.

1. MTE

MTE

There is nothing you can do at the moment. Just keep an eye on the spot where the tick was for common symptoms of lyme disease and any other potential diseases (meningoencephalitis is a common one where I come from). You can visit your doctor, but he/she will probably just say that you should watch out for potential symptoms.

#11     Oct 18, 2010
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

I suggest immediate amputation. :)

#12     Oct 18, 2010
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

There you go. Good advice.

Go ahead and call your family doc and get an antibiotic.

I used to get those ignorant deer ticks on me when doing FTX's in the Marine Corps. Don't worry about it, but start on an antibiotic.

#13     Oct 18, 2010
  4. Thanks for all the advice, fellas.

#14     Oct 18, 2010
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

if OP disappear from ET, you know why. :)

-a tick got him,

#15     Oct 20, 2010
  6. lindq

lindq

An up tick, or a down tick?

#16     Oct 20, 2010
  7. lindq

lindq

I had Lyme disease. A real hassle in my case because it was in the 80s before anyone knew what it was. But I was lucky and antibiotics knocked it out once I started to show serious symptoms. (The first diagnosis I had was stress, which was the conclusion of some lame-ass ER doc who asked what I did for a living. Seriously.)

Before you go running off to your doctor, who may list it in your medical record, keep in mind that some health insurance companies will not insure you if you've had it. I ran into that a few years ago when I innocently answered a questionaire.

Don't do anything until you have some symptoms. Then it is most often easily cured with antibiotics.

The problem with the health insurance companies is that supposedly spirochetes can remain in your body and become active at a later time. At least that was the report of the medical board in the health insurance company (Blue Cross) that rejected me.

Unfortunately, we've gotten to the point where you have to be careful what you say even to your doctor.

#17     Oct 20, 2010
  8. Great post Lindq, thank you.

I actually just inspected where I got bitten and I can hardly see any traces of anything, which I understand is a good thing. Hopefully nothing will come of it.

#18     Oct 20, 2010