Deep-ITM covered calls

Discussion in 'Options' started by ADLE, Mar 11, 2006.

1. dis

dis

It only makes sense to write a covered ITM call when one already owns the stock, expects it to decline to the strike, and does not want to sell the stock (perhaps because of tax considerations).

Buying a stock that one expects to decline (in your case, 25%) and writing a DITM call against it makes no sense.

#11     Mar 12, 2006
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

coverd call writing is one of the worst strategies one can employ. When options are written, they should always be written in , at the very least , a net zero position and not holding a long that can tank. I prefer always writing with a net credit and not holding a long that can tank.

#12     Mar 12, 2006
  3. ra1

ra1

Adle, I think you should pay very close attention to dis' and buy1sell2's comments.
    Your strategy makes no sense. Writing a deep itm call means you have virtually no extrinsic value and are at high risk of early assignment and thus locking in a fat loss. By definition a deep itm call has a much lower strike price than the price you paid to purchase the stock in the first place (I'm assuming you are doing a buy-write). So, in short you are planning to buy a stock for ,say, $50 and then be assigned at, say, $20, taking a $30 loss! Your example of buying stock at $30 and selling a 30 strike call is not deep itm, it's atm. I think you have a lot of learning ahead of you, beginning with definitions. I suggest you start reading - have a look at some of the other posts covering recommended reading. Finally, the reason you can't find anything on deep itm written calls in books is because it doesn't make sense (except for the example given by dis and even then it's stretching it a bit).
    ra1

#13     Mar 14, 2006
  4. ADLE

ADLE

#14     Mar 14, 2006
  5. zdreg

zdreg

there is no $30 loss because you keep the premium.

secondly in this case the the stock is called away resulting in a net zero position.

#15     Mar 14, 2006
  6. zdreg

zdreg

the short answer to writing itm calls strategy is the same as for most alluring
    strategies is that bid and ask spread and carrying costs and commissions and tax implications will make the strategy unprofitable.

#16     Mar 14, 2006
  7. Thank you.

I found it funny that the guy who was telling someone they had "a lot of learning ahead" of them could make such a statement.

#17     Mar 14, 2006
  8. zdreg

zdreg

"i rather not have this stock in my portfolio but am forced to hold on to it,"

you are not forced to hold on to your position. you can close your position and then move on with your life.

#18     Mar 14, 2006
  9. ADLE

ADLE

I am here to learn stuff, so I don't take as an offence.

#19     Mar 14, 2006
  10. I will try to answer your questions. No there is no lottery or system. It is always good to sell calls/puts when the IV is high...however there is no free lunch. The reason for the high IV could be detrimental to the underlying equity and that could drop. You are right that it would be to your advantage to be called away within a few days but this almost never happens because there is SOME theta or time value in all options.

Friday is the last day to roll your call (or buy it back) if that is what you want to do. When you SELL a call you have given the right to someone else to buy your stock which can be called away even on a Mon (happend to me last month) so even if the stock hasn't been called away on Sat...your not out of the woods so that is why you would buy it back for .05 unless you don't mind having it called away.

Selling deep ITM calls on stocks is a bearish play...you are hoping the stock goes down but not get called away...however if it is in the money it WILL get called away. There are just better option choices if you are bearish where you will get more bang for the buck so to speak.

#20     Mar 14, 2006