Deep ITM Call Writing for Dividend Capture

Discussion in 'Options' started by DeltaSpread, May 20, 2010.

1. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

You need to find a trading partner to cross them. It's actually pretty easy. It even has a name - "the Cap Strategy."

Ask any reputable broker and they will tell you about it; and will take the other side for you (i.e. they are the "trading partner").

Def true that it's not a great strategy anymore.

Under no circumstances do I recommend it.

#11     May 20, 2010
  2. As I said you cant trade them with yourself, aka paint the tape.

#12     May 20, 2010
  3. spindr0

spindr0

I must be fried from a really hectc day cuz I'm missing something. This is a deep ITM write against long stock placed as a net buy/wite order (what you call a spread) ? The $2.60 is the net cost of the CC?

#13     May 20, 2010
  4. Let me help you... The chances of not being assigned on a call like that when there is a significant dividend in play are very near zero

#14     May 20, 2010
  5. spindr0

spindr0

If this reply was for me, my question was about what the components of the position were not what happens later. If not for me, I'll wait for another reply.

(sitting here drumming fingers) :)

#15     May 20, 2010
  6. Kosharie

Kosharie

7. Yea spin, I always correct all your mistakes because you clearly know nothing about derivatives and I am here to school you. LOL

#17     May 21, 2010
  8. johnnyc

johnnyc

what rule is this? Hard to imagine any retail firm allowing clients to do this, especially an online firm? If one could do this, is the dividend not factored in to the price of the option?

#18     May 23, 2010
  9. spindr0

spindr0

I'm glad that I've given you purpose for your time spent on Elite Trader

:D :p

#19     May 23, 2010
  10. $2.60 is the total out of pocket cost for 100 shares - 1 call option $2.50 strike.

So you buy 100 shares of stock X for $17.25
    And sell $2.50 call strikes against it.

If you do this simultaneously, i.e. not legging in, you will have to pay more than the break even $2.50 price point.

#20     May 23, 2010