Decimated Bee Populations

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by gurucandidate, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Many of the 'synthetic' opioids are still poppy plant derivatives.
    Buprenorphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone and oxymorphone are all made from thebaine- A basic Papaver Somniferum alkaloid.

#11     Apr 16, 2007
  2. Roger that:D

#12     Apr 17, 2007
  3. very interesting - good article

#13     Apr 18, 2007
  4. Trust us humans to wipe out yet another species? How many have we wiped out so far? :(

#14     Apr 18, 2007
  5. ==========================
    Dont know if honeybees like GM food or cell phones ;
    but i dont use either one if i dont have to:D

Another interesting pattern, worker honeybees are female;
    but sounds like the evidence in that article shows they dont like cell phones:cool:

#15     Apr 20, 2007
  6. Based on Mr. Metal's take on "Bee"'s and The "Wicker Man"...Im going long Bee Calls and giving up my cell phone. Im reverting to "Tin Cans" and miles of string in order to communicate.

:D

#16     Apr 20, 2007
  7. Thanks for all the replies.

I did not know that some crops are wind pollinated. That makes me sleep better. And of course some microwave resistant bee may evolve before it's too late.

This is just personal stuff but I have a concern about receeding or disappearing species and feel nostalgic. Just can't help it.

I am an older guy, grew up in the countryside in Eastern Europe(basically barefooted in the summer). In our small town stork were nesting in many chimneys. Needless to say they are long gone. The fields were swarming with butterflies and they are gone too.

When I visited St.John's in the US Virgins in the late seventies I could stand in knee deep water and I would be literally overrun by fish. That has not been true since the eighties.

In the meantime I am member of one of the disappearing species too. I used to be a floor trader, have been renewing my association dues yearly since ,but what's the point?

Regards,

GC

#17     Apr 21, 2007
  8. Very sad. I hope we may return to such a time as you describe. Imagine what are children are missing out on and will miss.

By the way, which exchange?

#18     Apr 21, 2007
  9. i have inside information about bees ;)

#19     Apr 21, 2007
  10. ======================
    GC;
    Actually I am somewhat optimistic about bee population long term trend, plus many other insects pollinate.
    Einstein types, believers are working on it , and plus the power of brands like ''Miracle Grow'' plant food.Just put some ''Miracle Gro''on my backyard strawberries, blueberries.......:cool:

Actually never even used ''Miracle Grow'', its a bit exspensive;
    that is until I saw an old timers tomatoes grown with it .:p

#20     Apr 21, 2007