Decent PCIe quad-card? (cheap)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WinstonTJ, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Looking for a cheap PCI-e quad card.

I'm building a machine for a guy and the motherboard only has one PCIe x16 slot and the rest are x8.

For the money I'd spend buying either non-matching (which i don't like) or a matching card I want to look into a decent 4x DVI quad card.

Ideally it will be a little older, proven, tried & true, etc.

Just need a no frills solid quad card. Nothing special or fancy, the equiv of an NVS 290 or similar.

Any suggestions? Budget is as cheap as possible, hopefully under $50. (ebay, used).

2. I believe the first PCIEx16 NVS card was the 440.. requires 2, DMS-59 cables also. Don't know about "under $50", though.

3. I build computers but I don't know what you mean by 'quad card.'

You mean a single card with 4 GPUs? I don't know if you can manage getting your hands on one of those for 50 bucks...

What is this pc meant for... that is what you should base it on.

I would recommend nvidia. I have had problems with every ati card I've ever bought... (3)

4. ajcrshr

ajcrshr

5. Just got the NVS 440 on ebay for $79. A little over budget but it'll do.

I also bought a NVS 290 PCIe x1 card for $48. We'll see how things go.

Those ATI/Radeon cards are all crap - I've had tons of issues and failures with them as well.

I'm not 100% sure what he's going to be doing with this - it started out that he only needed 1-2 monitors and now last minute he wants 4 so i figured i'd do it right and get a quad-card vs. mix & match and put something shady together.

If there is an issue with the quad card (delay or ship or card itself) I'll just put two NVS 290 cards in there.

Thx for the replies.