Decent charting software to use with IB

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by davewolfs, Nov 9, 2008.

1. If I do decide to dish out some additional $$$ for charting software should I be looking at any other packages aside from Sierra?

Does Sierra provide you with the ability to script your own indicators?

#11     Nov 9, 2008
  2. Yes.

It lets you do it two ways: spreadsheets used by those who don't want to program and a c++ dll compiler for those who want ultimate speed and flexibility.

You can also do autotrading from either option.

#12     Nov 9, 2008
  3. mac

mac

I have QT. I currently open IB and do everything from there. I'm gonna start using booktrader feature in IB to enter orders. I am curious as to how other people use these two programs. Do many of you place orders from a chart? booktrader? QT? TWS order management? thanks

#13     Nov 12, 2008
  4. AmiBroker is not less than $40, but once you purchase the software its yours and there is no monthly subscription. For $199 its a lot cheaper than anything almost any other option + it works with IB.

#14     Nov 27, 2008
  5. Does QT allow for spread charting on futures/commodities?

thanks,

Walt

#15     Nov 27, 2008
  6. jimbo320

jimbo320

Its now free.

It has realtime, historical intraday charts all from IB data.

Also market profiles and some other neat stuff.

Its a work in progress but for the cash ie 0$ you can live with the probs.

I use it for futures and does most what i need.

#16     Nov 28, 2008
  7. just21

just21

Quotetracker does not do spreads, sierrachart and amibroker do. Amibroker was easier to set up but does not scale in fractions for bonds. I had to stop using Amibroker when IB backfill stopped working and they blamed my ip stack. I am using Ninjatrader at them moment. The backfill is excellent with IB but have not investigated if it does spreads yet.

#17     Nov 28, 2008
  8. I am a huge fan of Investor R/T by Linnsoft

www.linnsoft.com

Not the easiest to use, but once you have it going, its far more powerful than most packages I've used. At ~40$/mo you'll have everything you need. More advanced versions with additional charting formats, backtesting, etc are available too.

cheers

#18     Nov 28, 2008
  9. thanks for your replies...

Currently, it seems that e-signal is my best bet for futures spread charting; however, it's quite expensive (about $140 - $300 per month, depending on applications and features).

Walt

#19     Nov 28, 2008
  10. I think Multicharts has made one of the best charting programs that will work with IB.

#20     Nov 28, 2008