Dec. Fortune Mag: $11,000 into 18 Million in 3 years

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MichaelNorris, Jan 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babak

Babak

oh and about shortboy.com

go back and deduct all the interest income he gives himself and you will discover his performance is, well, how shall I put this diplomatically?....not that good

I e-mailed him early on (when he started the site 2 years ago) and asked him why he was adding interest income to his p/l? His reply? "Because I deserve it"

I don't agree. In order to get a true picture of his **trading** ability you need to look at his trading p/l not his interest income.

Its like me deluding myself by including IB's interest income from my daily cash balance. Sure! it would be nice, but I would be deluding myself.

Ofcourse, shortboy has a bigger job as he has to delude many others as well as himself:

In 1999 his interest income: 30205 his total income 114105
    So 26% of his profit was not from trading

In 2000 his interest income: 36136.5 his total income 129479
    So 28% of his profit was not from trading

In 2001 (so far) int income: 12767 his total income 22550
    So 57% of his profit was not from trading

If we deduct his interest income from his trading income we get the following returns:

In 1999 8.39% He claims 11.4% [note: half year from June]
    In 2000 18.67% He claims 25.9%
    In 2001 1.96% (so far) He claims 4.5%

As you can see, no big woop. Especially when you remember that last year short funds were like kids in a candy store.

source of stats http://www.shortboy.com

I have nothing against shorboy but I believe the way he presents his performance is misleading because he compares himself to the S&P500. As far as I know you don't get paid interest income for holding that index.

BTW, he will from this month start charging for his picks.

#121     Jul 3, 2001
  2. tradeRX

tradeRX

Hey rock,

Are you full of it or what?

You have neatly avoidedresponding to me.

How long have you worked for waxie and co. :cool:

#122     Jul 3, 2001
  3. tradeRX

tradeRX

Is "the rock" paid a commission for hyping these highly paid soothsayers?

What a joke.

#123     Jul 3, 2001
  4. Obviously, that is what this thread is all about to you.

If I were both smart and wise, I would stay out of this thread. But, as my ex-wife would testify, I am neither. Consequently, I can't help it but to comment on my impression of the ill-like sarcastic sense of humor that pours out of your cracked Rock *$$ (and that is without Moses hitting it <g>). Anyhow, I always found the fortunate young retired self-centered successful (by their definition) males absolutely fascinating.

Rock, I am doing exactly what you want. I am giving you something to respond to. I will also give you the pleasure of having the last word on the subject, because I will not reply to your response. How is that for my fear of your superiority? It has to bring you a great deal of pleasure that I know in advance that I couldn’t possibly compete with your vocabulary and creativity. However, I wanted to point out that you are nothing more than a pathetic two-time loser, and I don’t care how much money you have in the bank. If a well-off person such as yourself can make a comment such as “It is always about the money,” then I truly feel sorry for you. Doing for someone is not about giving money. Money doesn’t teach. Yes, it does fulfill many dreams, but it will not teach our children how to do better in life. We must take the responsibility to do so. Do you know why? I’d tell you. We have to do so because they hold our future in their hands.

Many of them are reading the messages you are posting on this board. And what is your message. Is it “find someone to do your work for you?” Or, is it “you must learn how to talk down to those who do not share your point of view?” I will not even go into unrealistic expectations in terms of investment returns. The bottom line, in my opinion for all it’s worth, you should take a good look in the mirror. And if you haven’t jumped off your penthouse balcony once you saw who was standing in front of you, then please respect those who take the time to read and respond to your comments.

I am also retired and don’t have to work another day. In fact, I have made and saved enough money for probably five generations. I also trade for fun and win, but I don’t use this board to satisfy a sick illness. Ball is in your court. You can handle it anyway you want.

Bill

#124     Jul 4, 2001
  5. I don't think he works for anybody. He is just a bored "old man" who needs to get a life. I don't think anyone who is trying to get business would go about it by insulting potential customers. Also his post about the email he sent Ear Wax (or whatever his name is) concerning the potential disaster if a large number of subscribers were to follow his calls, would suggest that he is not associated with them. But you never know, we might have to hire a retired private investigator. Anybody know one? ;)

Bill

#125     Jul 4, 2001
  6. trade RX,

I've heard similar comments regarding MT, however, their calls actually do work, with some tweking and common sense.

For example, once noticing the futures or CNBC news is coming out negative or overtly positive, then you inherently know its not time to go long or conversly short. That final override is your call as a determinor of your own fate/trade.

What forum, if any are you using, and how long ago did you leave their $249/monthly pedestal?

Also, this Rock guy, was blasted by his peer, yet another overly successful retired guy, that has other things to do, but instead, fills up these discussion threads. I would appreciate it if these guys would limit their comments to "the (political) issues" instead of the "tag issues", where "they got you and you're it". Until elitetrader changes their display of these overly wordy messages to a format that allows quick review and dismissal, they should give some consideration to the fact that nobody cares what thier feelings are, especially if you're retired, and no longer in the game where some idiot boss can "get at 'cha".

During my 20+ years in Wall Street, the unspoken word was, and rule of the street was: "you never admit in public or private what your actual performance numbers were/are". Anytime someone tells you, on a public forum such as this, that their 3y, 2yr, last year performance was --% on a $000,000 principal, and they're sitting pretty, are full of cobblestones, and needs to pass a few of them.... (polite enough)

Hey guys, take the time to "preview reply" to correct your typos, because changing words makes the whole value worthless, and if you've taken that much time to write a whole screen page, it might as well be correct.

#126     Jul 4, 2001
  7. tradeRX

tradeRX

limitdown.

I appreciate your point, but the very reason I hired them was to benefit from the expertise and experience of successful traders. If I'm tweaking their calls, who's the expert here? For the most part, I don't want to second guess their calls. Just as I don't wish to tell the surgeon where to place the incision.

limitdown....20+ years experience in Wallstreet huh. Hmmmmmm....please give me the benefit of your experience.

...Teach me something profound that would otherwise take me years to discover.

PS >>i vote yours best little quip :cool:

tradeRX

"I don't know how it is with you, but for myself I generally give up at the outset. The simplest problems which come up from day to day seem to me quite unanswerable as soon as I try to get below the surface."
    Justice Learned Hand

#127     Jul 4, 2001
  8. GoodMorningAll...

I'm back for more PUNISHMENT!!!

Looks like a FUN...AM

MiamiVice? Thanks for asking!...was great..12 hours recorded:

FastCars
    FastBoats
    FastWomen

....and of course BeautifulHouses...

....and that's what life is all about!!! Right??

.... but alas, I must leave early (about 1 PM) for The4th'sPARTIES..

FastCars.....Take "Blackie" my SportsCar to TheMarina..
    FastBoats....Take the "Excaliber" my Boat out to Caledesi Island..
    FastWomen....OhWell!..3 out of 4..MyWifeAin'tFastAnymore

....watchFIREWORKS

....and of course Back to our BeautifulHouse

What does this all boil down to........M~O~N~E~Y!

95% of Life Is Money....LiveItLearnIt

....and if YOU don't think so...give all of what YOU do have to the HELPLESS and lay on TheSteamGratesOf..NYC..

....with YOUR hand out......ForWhat?.....M~O~N~E~Y

BeBackShortly....Taking a JOG..

PMA

LifeIsShort~LiveItUp

Rocky

#128     Jul 4, 2001
  9. tradeRX

tradeRX

HeY rOcK bAbY....DoN'T fOrGeT tHe ClAsSiC RoCk oN tHe StErEo!! (ps..a new nick for you...ClassicRock :cool:

PaRtY oN wAyNe! pArTy On gArTh!!

#129     Jul 4, 2001
  10. guidodf

guidodf

The Rock guy must have found the secret of eternal youth: in fact he sounds much like a teenager.

Ciao

Guido

#130     Jul 4, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.