Debtor prisons are back

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gwb-trading, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Ah, the old "you don't know what my arguments in favor of my position are" gambit, combined with a little "conspiracy theory" twist.

Boring.

Sorry, I will side with Nietzsche's approach (debtors' prisons are fine because the punishment fits the crime) over yours. I think he was just a little bit more knowledgeable about history and human nature than you.

#61     Apr 22, 2012
  2. I have had that happen to me before but when you hear from the collection agency if you owe the bill pay it...if you dont, then make them prove you do . It's really a simple matter.

#62     Apr 22, 2012
  3. Hey douchbag, when companies rack up bad debts and go chapter 11, should company's directors go to prisons? or should tax payer to pay for its debts? where is your logic?

#63     Apr 22, 2012
  4. We see far too much of that with drug courts, testing , parole etc etc.

Drugs are a big money maker and excuse for law enforcement police state attitude towards citizens.

#64     Apr 22, 2012
  5. Bankruptcy is a completely separate topic. Try to stay focused, OK?

#65     Apr 22, 2012
  6. I paid it, but of course I was padding the collection companies coffers which really wasn't my responsibility. I probably should have paid the biller directly but it was under $300 which was easy for me to pay but not everybody can afford to look at 300$ as petty cash.

#66     Apr 22, 2012
  7. jaley

jaley

Debtor's prisons prey on basic human instinct of one group, while benefiting the carnal desires of another group. There will always be many people that will fall prey to greed over logic. The lender is also being greedy, looking to make a profit off money with no risk. The most logical solution is to not give something away if you don't want to risk losing it.

This is really what Christianity is about. The old, barbaric, "eye for an eye" vs. intelligence, compassion, and trying to help mankind overcome their problems. Unfortunately, many people today have been taught that the Bible is a literal history book where God is going to come and save them, instead being taught as a work of spirituality/philosophy. Ancient peoples were just as intelligent as we are today, and some of them are regarded as the most brilliant philosophers in we know.

#67     Apr 22, 2012
  8. piezoe

piezoe

The U.S. can never default on its loan obligations. It can always pay, but perhaps with worthless money.

#68     Apr 22, 2012
  9. I guess youve never heard of a serf, huh, logic-man

#69     Apr 23, 2012
  10. First someone brings up bankruptcy and now you're bringing up serfs?

Hey, the topic is DEADBEAT DEBTORS, OK?

#70     Apr 23, 2012