Debtor prisons are back

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gwb-trading, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mgrund

mgrund

As my grandad always said " never get in debt"- cash is king

#51     Apr 21, 2012
  2. the1

the1

What you are referring to is fraud and it should be prosecuted. If you read the article people aren't getting locked up for simply owing a debt; they're getting locked up for contempt of court or ignoring a court order. That is a jailable offense and makes the reason the person ended up in court in the first place a moot point.

#52     Apr 21, 2012
  3. AK100

AK100

Sadly it looks the whole of the US is going to become one big debtors prison for some.

There's some law trying to get passed now which has a provision that states if you owe the IRS money your passport can be cancelled.

The Land of the Free (but please read the ever growing smallprint)!

#53     Apr 22, 2012
  4. #54     Apr 22, 2012
  5. Best thing to do is pay your bills and go to court when summoned, then you will have no problems. Unfortunately most people would rather spend their money on stupid things for themselves instead of being responsible and paying their bills. I am sure this will come as a big suprise to alot of people but If you are an adult you have to sacrifice and be responsible for your actions.

#55     Apr 22, 2012
  6. Guess you've never had someone magically declare you owed them something until it was turned over to a collections agency.

facts:
    1) I never got the bills they claimed they sent.
    2) Never heard about the supposed debt until contacted by the collection agency. By that time the charges for non payment were 3-4x the original bill.
    3) I paid in full to the collection agency that day on the phone just to stop it from getting worse. I can just imagne if I didn't get the court notice to appear for a bill I never (knowingly) agreed to (nor disclosed in any way), never got.

This was a result of a medical bill.
    The problem is you get bills from people you never met, never were told would be doing work on your behalf etc etc.

When I take my car in for repairs I get one bill not:
    1) separate bills from the mechanic
    2) parts store
    3) parts store driver
    4) junk yard consult
    5) some photographer
    6) oil technician analysis

#56     Apr 22, 2012
  7. pupu

pupu

What is this nonsense?

Where are the good old days where if you didn't pay your debts they'd break your legs? Or even the older still days when they chopped off your noggin?

Kids these days...Now go cut me a switch!

#57     Apr 22, 2012
  8. It would be nice if things were that easy.

Now who do I sue if I'm summoned to court for a bill that is not valid.
    Who is my employer going to sue for the loss of productivity.
    Is the state gonna pay me back?

which reminds me of a separate story

This is a true story I did some work for the state (3-4 Yrs ago )they sent me a check and it FRICKEN BOUNCED.

It cost me 35$ for insufficient funds because their fricken check to me bounced!

I was very tempted to submit it back to them as state income tax paid.

They finally paid me but guess what, they never reimbursed me for the bounced check fee.

I won't work for the sorry bastids anymore.

#58     Apr 22, 2012
  9. #59     Apr 22, 2012
  10. There are many good reason why debtor prison are abolished before. Religious nuts and imbecile would never study it before commenting.

All debt have risk, including US government debt, creditor has responsibility only give out creditworthy debts. There are hidden agendas to host tax payers worldwide to pay bad debts.

Police and court system getting paid to stuff people in its jail.

#60     Apr 22, 2012