Debtor prisons are back

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gwb-trading, Apr 21, 2012.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmm...Let's see here now:

1. Is there a difference between "theft" and "inability to pay"?

2. Isn't the burden mostly on the lender since the lender approved the loan?

3. Shouldn't there be a maximum amount (let's just say $5,000) at which a person knows he could be sent to jail if it can be reasonably demonstrated that he intentionally abused his creditors?

4. Or does it have to be liberal vs. conservative, like all other issues discussed here on ET???

#11     Apr 21, 2012
  2. I actually did catch that she was put in jail for contempt of court. Even if she had been put in jail for the debt itself, I wouldn't mind.

What is it the jackasses who support abortion always say, "Don't support abortion? Don't have one!" Well, that works for this as well.
    "Don't support debtors' prisons? Don't go into debt!"

As far as I'm concerned, bring back Shylock's solution of a pound of flesh. Of course, with the fatasses we've got here in the US, we might need to make that two pounds.

#12     Apr 21, 2012
  3. I swear, it's actually impossible to underestimate the posters on this forum. Not talking about you, but about the folks who don't seem to understand that credit=speculation, and if you lose, you lose. You don't get to take away someone else's freedom because you made a stupid decision, or just plain got taken out by bad luck. Sheesh.

#13     Apr 21, 2012
  4. You're going to have to be more explicit about the connection between the Biblical precedents you're citing and the current-day situation. I'm not stupid enough to understand the point you're trying to make.

#14     Apr 21, 2012
  5. Credit rating agencies exist precisely to prevent folks who do stuff like this. Most people don't run up debt because they are trying to scam the system. I'm sure there's a percentage, but society long ago made the choice to not allow debt bondage.
    I can't believe I'm actually debating this with people who think it's a reasonable choice. It's not.

#15     Apr 21, 2012
  6. That's fine. You're beyond hope anyway.

#16     Apr 21, 2012
  7. you crack me up. Now not only does your house get forclosed on, but you also go to jail. So the so called housing crisis becomes the so called incarceration crisis.

this just in, "Not only are millions of people losing their homes, but the government is running out of jail space to imprison them all. Some say we should just let them off Scott free, but others say that would only encourage more defaults. In the meantime, the banks that made these loans are incurring a loss, and that's just not fair."

#17     Apr 21, 2012
  8. clacy

clacy

What banks are loaning money to "every dumbass with a half-baked idea" for business start ups?

Credit cards, auto loans, etc.... yeah pretty much everyone can get those. But lender beware. You loan money to idiots, you're likely have a high default rate. The risk of default is either secured, in the case of an auto loan, or taken into account with the rate as with credit cards.

If you're not bright enough to understand that if you disincentivize risk taking and entrepreneurship, that there will be strongly negative economic consequences, then you should enroll in a finance or econ class.

#18     Apr 21, 2012
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Private credit rating agencies should be outlawed, but that's a whole other story.
    True, most people don't run up debt because they are trying to scam the system, but desperate people do desperate things.
    At that point, the individual should understand that there is a price for abuse.

#19     Apr 21, 2012
  10. Sorry I'm not some pussified wimp with a soft spot for every sob story that comes down the pike and that I'm actually the kind of man who built this thing we call "Western civilization", starting in ancient Greece, which losers and parasites are now tearing down all around me. So, even though you'll never win my approval, rejoice in the fact that people of your type have won. The fact that your victory is hollow and that within a few generations without people like me around you'll be back to living in grass huts is my only consolation. At the rate you scum are devolving, it wouldn't surprise me if apes had a more advanced civilization than homo sapiens within a few millennia.

#20     Apr 21, 2012