Debt, interest and velocity of money

Discussion in 'Economics' started by paperboy, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Fractional Reserve lending people.

That is the 800 pds gorilla in the room that everyone ignores.

#21     Oct 13, 2010
  2. My experiment :

At the end of the first year I would reimburse $50 to the bank and pay $10 for the interest and ask a new loan of $160 ( bank now has $20 in reserve = $200; -$40 that I already have^^ ) and do it every year exponentially ^^

mouahahah

A symbiotic relationship with the bank making the payements higher and higher ^^ my banker gets exponential reserve everyone is happy :D

Rational, right ?

#22     Oct 14, 2010
  3. Let focus on the simple. In an economy with a 70% of GDP is consumer spending and there is no money velocity, no credit expansion what do you think we have? A deflation, currently, what was the Depression? Anyone? What's U6 unemployment at? 18% or if you believe shadow stats 22% What was the Great Depression unemployment? 22-23% last time I checked.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/M1V?cid=32242

#23     Oct 14, 2010
  4. Thanks for posting, its good to hear different points of view.

#24     Oct 14, 2010
  5. Code7

Code7

Here is the solution:

The customer takes his $100 and pays back $90 principal and $10 interest. So the bank made $10 off interest and can spend that money into the economy. Now the customer, a respected plumber, performs services for the bank worth $10. So the costumer can pay back the outstanding $10 of his loan. All balance sheets are now what they were before the loan.

#25     Oct 14, 2010