Debt collector

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by riddler, May 2, 2010.

1. riddler

riddler

i am being sues for unpaid credit card bills from a collection agency.i have 30 days to respond.i am definitely going to respond.
    if the somehow win a judgement,how will they garnish my wages if i am self employed?
    can the go after my bank account? some say they cannot get a lien on a bank account,others say yes.

2. morganist

morganist Guest

in england they would get attachment of earnings so they take earnings from employer. they probably would get access to your account although i cannot say for certain. yes reply and see if you can come to an arrangement. can you pay or not.

3. riddler

riddler

i am in south jersey.
    the amount ai 4400 dollars.
    i was told they can get a judgement but cannot go after my bank account.

4. riddler

riddler

i currently have a business checking account under a business name;its a sole proprietorship..could i change it to a corporation(incorporate) in order to protect it from a debt collector?

5. They can go after your bank account, put a lien on your house, they have many things they can do. For $4400 i doubt they will do it though. I was actually once thinking about getting into the judgement collecting business and I remember them explaining the process of how to collect a judgement by getting a court order on the bank account. The only problem was that the judgement collector had to know what bank the person banked at to get the court order which would entail tracking him and seeing where he banks. The judgment collector couldnt just get the court order and then go to every bank in the city and say "does so-and-so bank here?" There were some other tricks they had too, like forcing the sale of your house if you have lots of equity in it, but nobody is doing to do that for $4400. What is most likely is that they get a judgement against you and then a law firm handling the judgment will have you make monthly payments of what they think is reasonable. (In your case, I am guessing they will want $300-$350 per month and they WILL have interest running on that debt, not to mention your debt will probably balloon to $5000 with the lawyers fees.) If you say "screw you, I aint paying" They will then summon you to court and force you to list your assets. If you try to hide assets and they find out, you go to jail under penalty of perjury(thats if they want to be assholes about it and file another case) and they will still get your assets. Once they get a judgment against you, its really best to just pay it.