Debt collection and credit cards

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by riddler, Apr 16, 2010.

1. bears21

bears21

once it goes to collections you are not getting sued. if citi had your original debt and sold it they took their write off and are done with you. collection companies dont want to spend the means on the courts they try strong armed tactics instead. much easier and less expensive.

#31     Apr 19, 2010
  2. http://debtorboards.com/index.php
    I they sue you and you don't know what to do, then you can always excerise the Arb clause that most CC contracts have in them. That will tie them up for a while.

#32     Apr 19, 2010
  3. Hey, I'm not picking on you, but I just wanted to say that's how the system is supposed to work. It's for your your protection as well as the lender's. If you have a history of not paying your bills, it makes sense that no one will lend you money.

I got myself in a similar jam a decade back and had to walk away from some debt. My wife filed for BK just before we got married due to leftover mess from her 1st marriage.

It happens. I'm sure as hell not casting stones at you or anyone else in this thread. It doesn't make you a bad person. It does however make you a bad credit risk..

#33     Apr 19, 2010
  4. Still I wont pay.

#34     Apr 19, 2010
  5. spinn

spinn

that is the worst debt collection site in history.

#35     Apr 19, 2010
  6. should read.....
    ah, the life of a "deadbeat elite trader"
    :D

#36     Apr 19, 2010
  7. MattF

MattF

People have won doing this...especially if you can prove they don't even own the debt in the first place.

#37     Apr 20, 2010
  8. MattF

MattF

I have a few accounts well past due/charged off. I'll settle eventually. Too long for a statute still IMO.

Some are on the second round of companies...since I keep a spreadsheet of who's looking to collect and when, all settlement offers, accounts there, etc. Others I've sent letters to and haven't heard back in months (deadbeat companies). One or two accounts haven't even had their first attempt to collect on after charge off! Talk about getting lost in the shuffle :D

Big part of the problem is so many people owe it isn't even funny...but it keeps these places in business as well.

Next step will be the judgment states on mortgage foreclosures...bank buys back note at some lower value then what it was, writes off/down the difference depending on how large, sells it off, homeowner gets calls years later...has happened already in some sporadic cases.

State wage garnishment laws: http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/state-wage-garnishments.html

The simple things these companies work on is fear and ignorance. Easiest combat is don't be intimidated/afraid, and just study on what you can and can't do.

#38     Apr 20, 2010