Debit vs credit spreads

Discussion in 'Options' started by met1989, Mar 18, 2019.

1. met1989

met1989

how could it be that a credit spread does not go through on any price from mid to nom and debit spreads get filled right away on mid how come ?

2. ajacobson

ajacobson

It makes no sense. The exact parity exists for credit spreads - the parity is a debit and the two together complete a box - assuming we are not talking about some funky trade. So the theory of parity doesn't get you filled.
    Ask your broker, because if they are simple verticals they are doing a poor job. Same with diagonals.
    Is there a material omission of facts? Some form of a ratio or some illiquid product?

sle likes this.
  3. met1989

met1989

I was placing a Bwb on the ES I think it’s kinda liquid no?

4. ajacobson

ajacobson

Not great for spreads - IMHO.

5. met1989

met1989

Why?

6. ajacobson

ajacobson

Long answer - but if I were going to do a BWB I'd opt for the SPX. Better "option" mindset amongst the group that provides liquidity. Plus the ability to facilitate means you often have better liquidity in spreads.

7. met1989

met1989

I agree with yiu the reason I use the ES is cause they have 24 hour reading and there is no pdt rule if I use Spx and lets say I close or adjust my portion in one day I’m screws ;)

8. ajacobson

ajacobson

OK, but as you pointed out pricing is poor. Friction isn't just brokerage or margin alone.

9. met1989

met1989

I think TDAMERITRADE isn’t the best broker in town

10. Because far more options players would rather write a call then buy one. Most spreads are done for the credit you get from selling one.

#10     Apr 21, 2019