Debates!!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Epic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Brass

Brass

I listened to both Obama's and Daniels' speeches in their entirety. I don't recall Obama saying it, but I distinctly recall Daniels saying it immediately after.

When Epic suggested I was mistaken earlier in this thread, I Googled the phrase and saw it attributed most recently only to Daniels, with no mention of Obama. However, Rubio apparently also used the phrase in mid-December 2011.

#41     Jan 26, 2012
  2. I understand the purpose of debates in our current system. It's about who can take the heat. Who has the thickest skin. Who can be insulted and stand there with a smile. And then we wonder how we end up with a scumbag in the Oval Office. What self respecting person would even subject themselves to such a process?

#42     Jan 26, 2012
  3. Epic

Epic

How could I be mistaken when I just provided you the quote from the SOTU transcript?

I realize that Daniels said it also. But I listened to both of them too, and it was first said by Obama in the SOTU.

You can't criticize the GOP for a statement and then not criticize your guy for the same statement an hour earlier in the SOTU.

#43     Jan 26, 2012
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Of course you can. This is ET. :)

#44     Jan 26, 2012
  5. Epic

Epic

Well, I could be mistaken too. The snip that I provided might have been form Daniel's speech.

#45     Jan 26, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

I just searched the full transcript, on the word "soon", and "soon to have" is not in there. Where do you see it?

Edit: just searched all three full texts. Not in Obama's, not in Romney's. It was in Daniels' republican response. Of course the phrase caught my attention, because the test of its utility should rely on income mobility data.

#46     Jan 26, 2012
  7. Epic

Epic

Nope, you're right. It was incorrectly quoted in an article. It was Daniels.

#47     Jan 26, 2012
  8. Brass

Brass

Retraction, please.

#48     Jan 26, 2012
  9. Epic

Epic

yep, I stand corrected.

#49     Jan 26, 2012
  10. Epic

Epic

NEVER!!!!!! whoah whoah whoah