Debates!!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Epic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Epic

Epic

Didn't hurt either that Marco Rubio cut the legs out from under Newt the other day after Newt released an add calling Romney the new Charlie Christ and anti-immigration.

Rubio, who is generally completely neutral, took it upon himself to counter that ad and call for Newt to remove it. Newt later apologized for it.

Oops

#21     Jan 26, 2012
  2. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I saw this.

#22     Jan 26, 2012
  3. Brass

Brass

Romney may not have effectively inherited wealth for all intents and purposes, but he certainly came from it, with all the benefits that entails. Yes, he made his money in whatever manner that he did, but his connectedness would surely have helped him significantly, particularly in the kind of money business in which he engaged. I'm not suggesting he's a fool by any means, but a kid whose father was the head of a car company has a decisive leg up over the kid whose dad changes engine oil at a service station. So, yes, he's smart and educated and he made his fortune, but let's not suggest he made it entirely from scratch.

#23     Jan 26, 2012
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

You could say the same about the Kennedy's. The Gores. The Kerrys. But I digress.

#24     Jan 26, 2012
  5. Epic

Epic

Well stated, but I actually view his privileged history as a positive.

I can cited many examples of children who technically didn't inherit the wealth yet, but are certainly riding the coattails of their parents. They didn't or haven't taken the initiative to make their own way in the world. They are just biding their time till the folks bite the dust.

I can cite even more examples of those who used their father's position to immediately jump into a high paying position in their father's company. So they didn't technically inherit the wealth, but they did inherit the position that created it.

Romney stands in contrast to these people. His upbringing was comfortable for sure, but he didn't inherit either money or position. He could easily have taken a job in Detroit, and would probably still be CEO of one of the big three, but he didn't. He went out into a completely unrelated field and started at the bottom.

Of course, that might not be all good. If he had instead worked in the auto industry, we might have the good fortune of a different outcome. But who knows?

#25     Jan 26, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Yeah, right. His wife says they had some moments of "concern", in college, when they thought they might have to sell some of their stocks, or they'd have to get jobs.

The horror.

#26     Jan 26, 2012
  7. Brass

Brass

We were talking about Romney's wealth, which you guys are playing up as a sign of his being entirely self-made.

No one was making a similar case about the fortunes of the people you mentioned, so I'm not quite sure what your point is. Do you?

#27     Jan 26, 2012
  8. Epic

Epic

Sure, but in all fairness, they weren't exactly living it up. They were living in a basement apartment that was the equivalent of about $300/month in today's prices.

Again, I can just start naming off people that I know who's parents pay more than that on college housing for them. And these are strictly middle class families.

I'm not saying he is a saint or anything, but stack his personal life up against any presidential candidate in modern history and he is a standout.

#28     Jan 26, 2012
  9. Brass

Brass

I don't pretend to know his history well. I am only giving certain assertions the benefit of the doubt to make the case that I did. In any event, I did note that he came from wealth, which affords and takes for granted some privileges not available to us "soon to haves" (thanks for that, Mitch Daniels).

In any event, all this is just entertainment and contrived drama. I think we all know Obama will win. But it passes the time!

#29     Jan 26, 2012
  10. I think what is difference is Mitt Romney can take the risk to build his wealth, and he work hard. But he know if he fail, he will not be poor and lose all his money. Because he have support from his wealthy family.

#30     Jan 26, 2012