Death by Deadlift

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by luisHK, May 15, 2019.

1. luisHK

luisHK

Your points might be valid but you are mixing up issues here, Sigmarsson died much younger than one is expected to, but that wasn't linked to lifting heavy weights - it does seem he suffered quite a few injuries, I haven't followed him closely, but high level athletes usually have to deal with quite a few injuries, probably more in Strongman and Powerlifting than Curling. Remember reading stats about the number of teenagers aspiring to professional sports who get career ending injuries, outside of strength sports, and the numbers were quite scary (my son recently switched his "passion" from kickboxing to BMX, and I wished he moved back to kickboxing, what good BMX riders do looks like a multiple fracture in waiting, and they seem to collect quite a few of those - I'm particularly afraid of spine injuries) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jón_Páll_Sigmarsson#Powerlifting

"On 16 January 1993, Jón Páll died of an aortic rupture while deadlifting in his gym, Gym 80 in Reykjavík.[17][18] This was likely the result of a congenital heart defect that affected other members of his family,[18] which was exacerbated by his use of anabolic steroids.[19] He had sought medical treatment in the United States the previous year due to heart problems and Sölvi Tryggvason in his 2013 biography of Jón Páll stated he suspected Jón Páll knew he was close to death.[20]"

Definetely an interesting entry in a Death by Deadlift thread.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    #21     Jun 4, 2019
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  2. luisHK

luisHK

Good video, Eddie Hall talking about his 500kg world record deadlift, he says he worked with several doctors/psychologists/nutritionists to get ready for that lift. Quite an interesting process

#22     Jun 6, 2019
    CaptainObvious and Clubber Lang like this.
  3. Awesome story
    Thanks for posting

#23     Jun 10, 2019
    luisHK likes this.
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Can't say i quite understood what his couple of oranges a day diet was about, as he had lost tempoarily quite a bit of strength, but Martins got his strength back and some more in time for the World Strongest Man competion, which he won yesterday. He managed 46points out of 50possible in the Finals, 8 points ahead of the runner up, several videos are impressive, below is him squatting 340kgs for 9 reps yesterday :

#24     Jun 17, 2019
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  5. luisHK

luisHK

I'm looking forward to the Martins' next video but it hasn't come out yet, found no interview either done after the WSM competition (might be linked to the competition aired on TV only after June 30).
    Below is a video with his 5 events from the finals, all performed the same day. This guy has a stamina hard to guess just looking at him - he does stuff we wouldn't expect from such a big guy during his lighter training sessions -there were no max strength event at the WSM btw, which might be a plus for Martins. i'll post a couple more short clips from the end of the event, a Martins interview andthe 3 top bears congratulating each other (Martins looks almost small...)

#25     Jun 20, 2019
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  6. luisHK

luisHK

Duh... felt hardly ever anything worthwhile was happening in Shenzhen, at least in a good way, and just after I left Martins Licis is visting/doing a similar in my gym there (photo is not clear but he mentioned touring China this month, including Shenzhen, so I guess it s him):

#26     Jul 11, 2019
  7. luisHK

luisHK

Sbd just released a video mixing a Martins Licis Interview and great footage of his events at WSM 2019. Good stuff.

#27     Sep 14, 2019