Dean Hoffman's Synergy & Checkmate systems

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by trader56, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Anybody have any experience with these? His site is interesting, but he admits not revealing code, so you sort of have a black box thing. Would be interested in anyone's ACTUAL experience with these. Thanks!

2. NKNY

NKNY

I too would like to hear from anyone trading these systems....

3. I've traded Synergy for a year - what do you want to know about it? You can call Dean directly - he is very responsive.

Apart from the fact that the code is locked (and why shouldn't it be, it took him 10 years to develop his system), you can't really trade it yourself unless you have a copy of TS2000 and a datafeed like CSI. (He is working on a standalone platform like Aberration.) The current online version of TS7 does not have about 7 of the 21 commodities traded by Synergy. I like a lot of the features of this mechanical trading system - risk weighting of different commodities, scaling, tight stops. Having said that, I am down from my original position - but so are virtually all trend following systems recently.

I recommend this system if you have a very long time horizon (10 years), the amount you put into it is ABSOLUTELY extra petty cash that you have lying around and don't know what to do with and could care less if you lose most, if not all of it. I'm serious, I believe if you go into these kind of systems with this kind of mental state, you have a CHANCE of making a good return over the long haul. Check out Dean's performance graph, they take a while to get going. - rcm.

4. NKNY

NKNY

Yes I have heard that aberration and synergy ( most trend following) are coming out of pretty big drawdowns this year.

When is the stand alone version scheduled to come out, any idea. I would rather trade it my self then have a system assist broker do it.

Anyway I'm not thinking of starting a long term futures venture until early next year but was actually leaning towards checkmate, also by Dean Hoffman. I think it may be a little more conservative. Are you still trading synergy and are you doing it yourself or through a system broker. Also if you dint mind could you tell me the worst drawdown point this year , again if you don't mind.

thanks

Nick

5. When is the stand alone version scheduled to come out, any idea. Nope - none, call Dean.

Are you still trading synergy - yes.

through a system broker

Also if you dint mind could you tell me the worst drawdown point this year , again if you don't mind. About 40% early Fall I think, but remember, this is unique for each person depending the day they started and how long they have been in. - rcm

6. NKNY

NKNY

Thanks for the information ....

Nick