Dealing with Stress

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by atlTrader666, Oct 22, 2011.

1. I like it when I have nothing to loose. Even life in prison or execution doesn't scare me. That way when I am sitting in front of you and you piss me off I can poke both your eyes out with your ball point pen before you can even wiggle your toes. Why don't you practice meditation shithead so you can get mellow like me?

#41     Oct 24, 2011
  2. cornix

cornix

Pretty egoistic approach to religion/spirituality, isn't it? I would be afraid that would hurt one's karma severely. :D

#42     Oct 24, 2011
  3. Stress, like the stress on a tight rope, is the result of being pulled in two different directions at once. The market is pulling you one direction. Find out what's pulling you in the other direction and let go of it. Then the stress will disappear. Here's an example from my former stressed out days.

1. I have to take risks because that's how I'll grow wealth.
    2. I can't experience the negative side of risks (being wrong or losing money) because it will make my wife feel insecure about our future.

So I have to take risks without taking risks. Impossible. I place a trade and I'm stuck between the need to take risks to get where I want to go and the need to not be wrong. So I sit and watch my open position like a hawk. It's no longer about a reasonable risk limit at this point, it's about not being wrong. So every tick down creates a panic inside of me that shakes me and says, "Eventually you'll have to give up your dreams and stop taking risks so that you're family can feel secure." or the alternative, "Eventually you'll have to give up your family's peace of mind to have what you want... you selfish bastard." As an alpha wolf, it's incredibly stressful to have a conflict between my own happiness and the well being of my pack. When it's a "one-or-the-other" situation, there's no lack of stress. Luckily, for me, the solution was to find a way that taking risks did not create feelings of insecurity in those around me. I was able to let go of one side of the rope without letting go of my dreams or sacrificing my family's happiness. Now trading is stress free. And I'm being very serious about that. It may sound unreal to hear someone say "trading" and "stress free" in the same sentence, but it's true. Trading is stressful because you're a rope anchored on both ends.

#43     Oct 25, 2011
  4. d473n

d473n

I agree with most that exercise is so important for mental clarity and dealing with stress.

Meditation is very important as well and doesn't have to be spiritual at all. I don't relate it to anything like that, I simply take a moment (30 mins) to clear thoughts and concentrate on breathing. I played around with isotonic and binaural beats for some incredibly deep sessions as well.

But by far exercise is the quickest remedy for feeling mentally strong and grounded.

#44     Oct 25, 2011
  5. Just shows why they taught religion to mankind.

#45     Oct 30, 2011
  6. You are either not facing up to the secret burdensome thoughts that are causing the stress, or are just doing too many things, and hence the *pace* of your thoughts is exceeding the normal pace, hence the stress.

If it's the first, you know what to do. If you got this far, you're not dumb.

If it's the second, then you somehow need to bite only what you can (mentally) chew. Try Anuloma Viloma (google it up) to bring consciousness to the racing thoughts, then discard the speed one thought at a time. All the best!

#46     Oct 30, 2011
  7. Exactly.

I want to resume daily meditation as I remember how beneficial it was for me when I used to practice it. I still reap the benefits.

I have however no experience with isotonic and binaural beats. I wonder if it could be useful to listen to anything like that during the trading day?

#47     Oct 30, 2011
  8. meditation is the most wonderful life changing thing in the world, but it is the hardest thing to do also. Almost everybody can do something, but practically nobody can do nothing, not even for 30 minutes.

#48     Oct 30, 2011
  9. when I was a kid I read every book there ever was on meditation and all the religions, till I finally discovered when you meditate, it doesn't matter if you are trying to experience the universal, or just thinking about an actress you saw on tv, it's just a matter of sitting quietly and not doing anything.

the first time you try it, just set a timer for 5 minutes close your eyes and you will see how almost unbearably excruciating it is.

#49     Oct 30, 2011
  10. "For they sleep not, except they do evil; And their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall." (Proverbs 4:16)

My friend(s), you've just stepped into the Devil's realm, which is called equitytrading. Unless you continue to shed more innocent traders' blood and pilage others' investment accounts, as the proverb stated, there will be lack of sleep. Lest you repent of your evil and your soul be saved and your sleep be restored...

--------

Proverbs 1:

"10My son, if sinners entice you,

do not give in to them.

11If they say, “Come along with us;

let’s lie in wait for someone’s blood [equity trading],

let’s waylay some harmless soul [novice traders];

12let’s swallow them alive, like the grave,b

and whole, like those who go down to the pit;

13we will get all sorts of valuable things

and fill our houses with plunder;

14throw in your lot with us,