Dealing with anxiety

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sle, Jun 15, 2017.

1. sle

sle

It's been happening to me more and more lately - something happens and sends me for a spin. Full blown panic attacks, at first I even thought I am having an MI. Last time, on Tuesday, I heard some bad news about a buddy of mine and it hit me so bad, I considered going to ER.

I tried taking medication for it, but it makes me drowsy and slow. I am the opposite of overweight and rock climb a lot, so physical activity does not seem to help either. Really annoying :(

2. franT

franT

Tell the shrink that gave you benzodiazepines, to write you a recipe for oxytocin. Only side effect is that you may bond too much with a gold digger. It just works and is naturally produced by the body, but psych stress takes a toll. Worth a try.

3. speedo

speedo

Had them about 20 years ago, terrible feeling. I went to the ER and was told that they were panic attacks and I could go upstairs and wait to see a shrink. Knowing that I wasn't about to die was half the cure and made an appointment with my Internist that week who prescribed Klonopin. I took them for several days and decided I didn't want to be drugged. I started doing deep breathing exercises any time I felt one coming on which prevented the onset.

These things are emotional states although they sure don't feel like it....more like about to explode apart. Yogi's and qigong masters learn how to control autonomic states such as blood pressure, heart rates, respiration rates and more. Most people breath shallow which is unhealthy. Rock climbing is great stuff but there is an element of stress involved...maybe throw in some more mundane cardio such as running, walking, elliptical, bike etc. which do not require the concentration of climbing.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    algofy likes this.
  4. Not enough info. How old are you? Do you use alcohol, or other drugs at all? More than you used too? Any dramatic life change? Divorce? Death of close friends or family? Career? Any large weight loss or gain? Do you sleep well at night? Get enough sleep? Any doctor that does not address these issues and more prior to prescription medications is a quack.

5. O(1)

O(1)

fought anxiety for years.. panic attacks, 2 ER visits. Last panic attack was about 5 years ago.

1 Peter 5:7
    "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

6. sle

sle

I want to avoid taking medication unless I absolutely have to...

Let's see.. I am 45, male, in decent athletic shape. I don't smoke or use drugs and have a sip of whiskey once a month or so. Career is stable, well, as stable as it can be in this business. Had some traumatic events last year but not recently. Sleep-wise I could probably use more but it's not like I am sleeping 3-4 hours. Normal adult life. The doctor went through all of this plus family history (that can of worms is best unopened).

7. Stress has a cumulative effect. Might not be any one thing. I have dealt with this my entire adult life and self medicated through my twenties and early thirties. I would recommend seeking out some type of group therapy. Be careful, lots of cult type crap out there, but there are legit organizations and help. You may need medications, but in my mind that is a last resort. It does help to talk about these things with like minded people seeking a healthy solution.

8. sle

sle

I am not the type to fall for a cult, most probably :) but I don't think I am the type to go to group therapy either.

9. I remember the discussion in that "what's your number thread" and I realize you probably don't want to hear this but maybe it's time to slow the trading down, or atleast reduce your focus. Might not be as easy working for a firm but it could be worth a try if you want to avoid meds. I was having similar issues a few years back and it was all trading related stress. I am in my late 30s and you wouldn't believe how positively trading less affected my life. This career is brutal and can seriously mess up your psyche. Many don't realize this until it's too late.

10. sle

sle

It's funny, what seems to throw me is not the job-related stress. In fact, the times when I feel anxiety-free are at my desk and in the climbing gym or the crag. To be honest, I am not working that hard - being a systematic trader helps a lot, I don't really have to grind things out tick-for-tick.
    It's life that gets to me :/ Outside of those, once I am in the "regular adult life", I am back to the shit-storm state. A stupid thing like a uncomfortable subway ride can throw me for a loop. Go figure. Maybe you're right and I am projecting hidden workplace stress away from it. The doc, however, thinks it's genetic and there is little to be done lifestyle-wise.

#10     Jun 15, 2017