Dead fish handshakes from top fund managers??

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Sushi, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Sushi

Sushi

Freaky. That sounds like Howard Hughes or somting like tat.

#11     Apr 19, 2009
  2. A few years back I was in Jerry Springer's studio audience (I know, I know... but a bunch of friends were already going, I had nothing better to do that day, and it was only a few blocks away from our workplace).

Anyways, after the show Springer stood by the exit and personally shook the hand of every single audience member- and there were hundreds of us. I found that pretty unusual. Why the hell do you think he does that?
    ______

Edit: Springer isn't even the most fucked-up anti-celebrity I've ever shaken hands with. That honor has to go to Meir Kahane when I was just 14. ...but I'm sure one of you can top that. Anyone here ever shake hands with Castro, Pablo Escobar, or Bin Laden?

#12     Apr 20, 2009
  3. A pussy handshake is one thing. But many people also look down (instead of into ones eyes) when shaking hands. This combination is the worst and a dead sure give-away of a low self-esteem, weak ego.

#13     Apr 20, 2009
  4. Sushi

Sushi

Huh? That's the opposite of what rearden metal said. Wonder what accurate

#14     Apr 20, 2009
  5. http://www.apa.org/releases/handshake.html

#15     Apr 20, 2009
  6. Cutten

Cutten

Lol. Not to mention how many germs the average person has on their hands, and that's before you count the people who rub their cold sores, pick their nose, or scratch their ass during the day. Yeah, I really wanna shake hands with that.

#16     Apr 20, 2009
  7. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I think shaking hand firmly is not something natural when it is just to say hello.Those who do it just seems to have something to prove( don't know what ...LOL ).

It's different when you have negociated a deal with someone, or engage yourself onto something. In this case, you're naturally tempted to shake firmly.

#17     Apr 20, 2009
  8. cstfx

cstfx

So...strong handshakes = scumbag liars?

#18     Apr 20, 2009
  9. sjfan

sjfan

Because you have personally shook hand with top hedge fund managers to pass this judgment?

#19     Apr 20, 2009
  10. Baudot

Baudot

Excellent question.

Someplace (Management seminar maybe) I remember one person saying that people who have limp handshakes are non-committal personalities.

I find that an intriguing explanation worth exploring.

Certainly a weak handshake is not the norm amongst people managers and up so it begs the question... how do these fund managers deal with people and how do they run their businesses?

Are they less a boss and more a weathervane?

Most of the experts on TV are more weathervanes to me. Why would hedgies be different?

I do have to admit though... I find it hard to grasp that the top person in a hedge fund is indecicive and weak.

I expect them to be headstrong and have a fervent belief in their flavour of investment religion.

I remember sitting on a flight inbetween a dapper broker running his own business and a scruffy lawyer running an air conditioning business. I forget how the broker shook hands. He was a cocky fellow though. I think he wanted the lawyer's business.

My assessment of the two... the scruffy lawyer (who had bought a business and given a portion to the employees) sounded to me to be a more solid and reliable fellow. I wish I remember how he shook hands too.

Eric

#20     Apr 27, 2009