De LaHoya vs Mosely

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Sep 14, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

I just saw the fight. Unanimous decision for Mosely :eek: :eek: :confused:

Were these judges watching the same fight as the rest of us? EVEN _if_ it was a tie, the onus is on the challenger to TAKE AWAY the title. Please show me then 7 rounds that Mosely won?

The only thing I can think of is that there is some unwritten rule that if you are going backwards most of the fight, even if you are outscoring your opponent, they are deducting points from you. Or maybe Shane had more umph in the last rounds... :confused:

Boxing has turned into a beauty contest.

nitro :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. De la Hoya's a loser...

3. Nitro,

I haven't seen the fight yet, but the rules of boxing do favour the agressor. De la Hoya is a great counter fighter, but maybe this time his fighting style off the back foot wasn't appreciated by the judges.

A bit of a shame as I think technically at least De la hoya is a better boxer.

Runningbear

4. nitro

nitro

Runningbear,

Here is the thing. In the first fight with Mosely, DLH went at it toe to toe with Mosely. DLH does not have the hand speed for the that and got outscored and beat.

This time around, he used the jab to keep Mosely at bay, and it worked beautifully. He did this off the back foot, but only once in the entire fight did DLH back touch the ropes - in other words, he was BOXING, circling Shane and scoring on him.

Both Shane and his father KNEW that he had to knock out DLH on the last round to win the fight - just watch the fight and listen to the comments comming out of the corner.

Look at the statistics from the fight. Not one category was Shane even close (of course, during the fight the judges don't have access to this.)

Seriously, even Foreman, who favored Mosely before the fight, was astonished with the result.

nitro

5. gazza1

gazza1

I love boxing but decisions like that make me wonder why I bother. I'm actually a Shane fan but the verdict was a farce. These fights are supposed to be judged on a combination of clean punches, ring generalship and effective aggression. Oscar was way ahead on two out of the three categories. If you look at the fight Mosley simply did not throw enough punches (between rounds his Dad implores him to throw more punches). Oscar dictates the tempo of the fight throughout (again Shanes Dad continually tells him between rounds to not let Oscar dictate the pace of the fight). Mosley was the more aggressive of the two but that in itself should not be enough to win him the fight. IMO something stinks.

6. nitro

nitro

I agree.

nitro