De Beers Diamond Sales Plunge Again

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Jun 25, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

2. DaveV

DaveV

They can already make man-made diamonds that are so good that even a normal jeweler cannot tell the difference, unless using an electron microscope. Long temr, prices for real diamonds have no way to go but down.

3. zdreg

zdreg

I have heard this argument for years.
    [​IMG]
    Upvotes sounds like wishful thinking by clueless posters. Someday there will be a blip down and posters will claim I told you so. zirconium, man made diamonds, has been around for decades.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019

4. Man made diamonds look as good as the real thing and the hand held amatuer detectors cannot tell the difference. But real jewlers with the right equipment can spot the difference quickly and as someone who buys and sells diamonds, man made lab diamonds still lag far behind in price and value. As long as De Beers keeps the supply tightly controlled the pricing and value will still remain high.

Those who are buying the cheaper man made ones to have a nice diamond are the same people who would never come out of pocket for real diamonds so will have minimal effect on market values. Just like those women loading up on fake COACH purses in Chinatown, they are only buying them because they are cheap and want to pass it off as real.

dealmaker likes this.
  5. DaveV

DaveV

De Beers recently announced that they will start making and selling synthetic diamonds under the Lightbox brand name. However, it seems that DeBeers is doing this to drive the price of lab diamonds down so there is a clear distinction in price between the real and lab-made diamonds

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-slide-as-de-beers-fights-back-idUSKCN1OK0MQ

El OchoCinco and dealmaker like this.
  6. zdreg

zdreg

Will the zipper break and the lining tear? If not it is a good deal. Even if it does you just replace if it is cheap enough.

7. I bought the knock off Mont Blanc pens for $15. Definitely not same quality but they almost look as nice and did not cost me $300 :). i say the same goes for the knock off Coach purses you can get for $50.

8. dealmaker

dealmaker

The Diamond Squeeze

If you're in diamonds, business is hard. What was once a highly lucrative trade—especially if you could become part of a small, elite group of companies that traded directly with diamond giant De Beers—has become a struggle as margins have compressed. In some cases, buyers and middlemen have been forced to sell the gems at a loss. That's due to both slipping demand from the end customer, and banks that are less willing to extend financing to the industry. Bloomberg

zdreg likes this.
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Manmade diamonds are too perfect, easy to tell.

#10     Jul 31, 2019