DDR 3 Memory Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by randy-forex, Feb 3, 2009.

1. going back to my oringally comparison. Sounds like it doesn't make so much difference from 1333 to 1600 but 1000 to 1600 would be.
    when are ddr3 going down in price? Should i buy a motherboard that can handle 32 gig ram or not bother? I don'tt know anyone that could afford more then 12gig

#11     Feb 5, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

You might not notice a difference between 1000 and 1600... depends upon how much data you're running through it at one time.

Before you spring for 32G of RAM, suggest you try your setup and software on some computer somewhere with a 64-bit OS and see how much RAM you use at one time.

#12     Feb 5, 2009
  3. how long do you think it will take before the ddr3 1600 4 gig sticks are $100 each, now they are 400

#13     Feb 5, 2009
  4. ehorn

ehorn

It is not possible to answer your original question unless you provide some information.

What CPU & Motherboard do you have?

What is your current CPU multiplier set at?

What is you current FSB (front side bus) speed?

Without this knowledge it is not possible to determine if your machine can/will benefit from faster ram.

Ideally you will have a ratio of 1:1 between the FSB and the memory bus (frequency). A 1:1 ratio means there is no bottleneck on the FSB or the memory bus. Higher ratios (faster memory speeds) won't significantly increase the overall performance, because FSB throughput will be limiting.

For most CPUs, the ratio between the FSB speed and the internal CPU (core) speed is fixed. Thus, if you increase the FSB clock speed, you automatically increase the CPU core speed. This is overclocking. If cooling/voltage/etc are modified so that the CPU runs stably at higher core speeds, overall performance can be boosted substantially, because (1) the core is running at a higher speed and (2) memory throughput is boosted by the increased FSB. Faster memory bus speeds (e.g. DDR3-1600 or DDR3-2000) will be needed to keep up with an overclocked FSB.

The point I am trying to make is that higher speed ram is intended for specialized systems and/or enthusiasts who typically overclock their systems looking for maximum performance from an existing architecture.

#14     Feb 5, 2009
  5. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

Wow... that is a weird comparaison you did there.
    Sempron = worst pos processor [ celeron type ] and you compare it to a Core2duo...

a ' 98 Honda Civic versus a 2009 Ferrari. who gets to finish first you think?
    ;p

#15     Feb 6, 2009
  6. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

You are wrong about this.

video/image processing is all done in memory.
    If you apply modifications, the computer has to open the file [ the whole thing ], uncompressing it, bigger your image/movie is, more ram/HD space it will require to process the work.
    For example, if you have a 5 mb .bmp file, if you open it in Photostop, it may take 400mb in memory. [ rough numbers to give you an idea ]. same goes for movies.

Why you think Photoshop requires a 1gb+ swap file.
    But of course the HD is 50 times slower than ram. So you want a lot of ram not to waste 30min on applying an effect on your work.

And when i talk about image editing... im talking about the real images/pictures [ 100+ mb sizes ]
    newayz, lot of technical details in this subject which has nothing to do with trading. But just to give you an idea.

#16     Feb 6, 2009