DDE, Win7, OpenOffice, ThinkOrSwim

Discussion in 'App Development' started by bidforspu, Apr 16, 2012.

1. bidforspu

bidforspu

So I've been using OpenOffice Calc on my Windows XP Pro (SP3) machine for years. I've been getting real-time market data through DDE from ThinkOrSwim desktop to my OO Calc spreadsheet. Things have been great.

Now for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to move on to Windows 7 64-bit, for more ram. I did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, and reinstalled TOS and OpenOffice Calc.... but no DDE works. I just get #N/A!

It seems to work with Excel, however. But for whatever reason, the DDE formulas in Excel are all static, I can't reference other cells. It's the strangest thing.

Is anyone running DDE links with OpenOffice or Excel in Windows 7 successfully? If so, how are you doing it?

Thanks. I might have to just reinstall Windows XP again. This is just terrible...

2. ddouglas

ddouglas

Do you have Google Chrome running?

I have TOS running on Windows 7, and Chrome will block the DDE - but it works fine as soon as Chrome is closed (no re-start or anything).

3. EEUT84

EEUT84

Start -> run -> cmd

taskkill /f /im rundll32.exe <enter>

4. This is such total B.S. Has anyone contacted Google about this problem with Chrome ? To me, given their stellar reputation for only hiring the best and the brightest, might this not be INTENTIONAL ?
    GOOG hates MSFT...that is known.
    GOOG hates ORCL...read the papers.
    GOOG hates anyone who gets in their way.

5. Maybe you can try the forum at: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/index.php
    Some related topics are: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50494
    Seems ddouglas was correct, as below link says the exact same reason:
    http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/998407-solved-dde-help-think-swim.html
    Do let us know if you solved the issue and how?

6. bidforspu

bidforspu

I couldn't get OpenOffice Calc to work with ToS DDE even when shutting down Chrome. But I didn't really like that solution because I use Chrome a lot.

I searched and searched and even ended up paying for livevolpro to get my market data into Excel. But that was way too expensive.

Finally I found something called XLQ. It's a neat little program that allows you to get real-time (if you subscribe to a source that provides real-time, such as TD Ameritrade or IB) and historical market data into Excel using RTD-like formulas. Best of all (as opposed to ToS DDE) the formulas allow for cell references.

I'm also able to get some technicals streaming into Excel too, which is really helpful.

The program is not free, but seems pretty reasonable to me.

Anyway, thought I'd share. I've only installed it this weekend, so I haven't seen it working when the markets are open. So far so good though.

7. apdxyk

apdxyk

Thank you for your update. I ended up uninstalling Chrome on my trading machine. Google is too intrusive, they want to be on every corner.