DDE problems vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by The Dutchman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Hi everybody,

I have a new pc with windows vista 64 bit on it. Now I found out that vista doesnt support dde linking and this is a major problem for me because I use the quotes from my broker in Excel to do a lot of calculations. Does anybody know a solution to this problem and to get DDE working in vista? Thanks in advance!

2. DDE was officially not supported by microsoft around 10 years ago, but it was kept around for legacy reasons for long time (still unsupported).

RTD is the replacement for DDE... so hopefully your broker supports both... maybe look into RTD support more.

3. Thanks for your reply. On windows XP it worked fine but can you can confirm that in vista there is no possible way to get dde to work?

4. I've never actually heard that DDE is not supported in vista, no... just that there is no tech support provided for it for last 10years from microsoft.

here is a person who got DDE working in vista with esignal, so it does still seem to be in service :

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/showthread.php?threadid=22674

They definately got rid of NetDDE in vista, I can confirm that... but this is a network version of DDE and different, so it doesn't imply anything about running dde on a single computer which is what most mean when they say dde.

sometimes in vista old things like this will work if you disable UAC (user account control) in the control panel (security I believe).

5. Thanks! I think this has solved my problem! I hope I dont create any new ones by disabling UAC :).

6. DDE works fine on Vista 32.

7. as long as you have a good virus/malware program you are fine with UAC disabled.

8. Disabling UAC is one of the first things I do with Vista and W7.

Unless its a PC for peons and children this stuff is just a pain in the xxxx.

9. J.P.

J.P.

I've been using 64-bit Vista with Excel DDE for over a year now with no problems.

10. Problem is completely solved with disabling UAC!

#10     Jun 4, 2009