DDE Datafeed

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Big_M_Surfer, Jun 20, 2005.

1. To be fair about eSignal, the non-commercial API (ActiveX API) is an end-user product and is pretty new.

Thus comparing to their matured Standard Programming API (which we've worked with for so many years on NeoTicker), the ActiveX API is less powerful and will take time for this service to mature.

Over the years, we've implemented our version of DDE link from NeoTicker to external apps, but we are not really focus on the support of this technology because of the constraints. Although we are able to work out some extra features over the data feed vendors (like data arrays, formula results, etc.), it is still very basic in terms of functionality.

If someone is interested to implement better DDE server capability to improve over what eSignal has, it is definitely good news.

#21     Jun 21, 2005
  2. Thanks for the Standard Programming API tip I will investigate that further and see what I can do. I’m not interested in DDE technology I’m interested in RTD which is the Excel technology QuoteLink supports. Excel end users would compare performance and limits though.

About RTD in MS site:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexcl2k2/html/odc_xlrtdfaq.asp

#22     Jun 22, 2005
  3. Tks for the replies,

exactely what's the difference between DDE and Data on Demand?

Actually I need data on demand, so I think the choise is between:
    -esignal
    -IQfeed
    -Tenfore ??

Good Trading for me today is over... I suppose... if anything doesn't chance in the mkt

B_M_S

#23     Jun 22, 2005
  4. I use a charting system which calculates formulas for me and then stores it in a variable which I then transfer to Excel using DDE.

I have a VB 6 program which fetches the Excel cells, loads it into an array in VB and fires off orders to my trading platform. The problem is that when my VB timer event sweeps Excel and I am in the middle of editing an Excel cell, it aborts with messages such as program being used,etc...

I think I can avoid the problem if I do all my edits in the array within VB instead of using Excel. Is there a way to avoid using the Excel sheet and port the data directly into my VB program?

Thanks

#24     Jun 22, 2005
  5. i use esignal dde links and i bot extra symbols...

i monitor almost 1000 symbols so it depends on where you go...

sorry neotick..:(

#25     Jun 22, 2005
  6. Hi GATrader,

Before you fetch the values in the Excel cells what about turning off editing by using an automation subRoutine... then fetching the excel values then turning editing back on... could that be a process that gets around problem...

cj...

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

#26     Jun 22, 2005
  7. Thanks cj. Are you saying there is a subroutine in Excel that one can invoke which changes the sheet from edit mode into non edit mode or is this something I need to code for myself in VB? In real time all it takes is to press return after editing a cell to get out of edit but sometimes the timer beats me to it and my system appends. Thanks

#27     Jun 22, 2005
  8. Tenfore support is rubbish as is their software, although data is good.

#28     Jun 22, 2005
  9. Right... in your VB6 project you can automate (as in control) excel modes... turn things on / off etc... so you can look into this as a .50 cent solution to your workflow problem

From VB6 project code....
    1. Turn off Excel Editing, etc...
    2. Fetch your values
    3. Turn on Excel Editing...
    4. Take money to bank...

here is one link i found...

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-135815.html

also...
    put the words: automating excel +vb in
    Google search box - this will bring up plenty of info on this topic -

cheers...

cj... hthelps... :)

HAVE STOP - WILL TRADE

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

#29     Jun 22, 2005
  10. It is probably best if you open a new thread about data on demand questions, as the DDE jamming here is getting serious :)

DDE stands for Dynamic Data Exchange, it is, for example, having a link between your data feed and Excel for your custom computations.

Lawrence

#30     Jun 23, 2005