dbphoenix Journal's

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lucrum, May 15, 2008.

1. neke

neke

I noticed attachments to my current threads are gone as well.

Donations are welcome from ET members to help Baron acquire extra storage space.

#41     May 20, 2008

2. Wow. That is just stupid.

The value of this site is the accumulated knowledge posted by members. Now that you already have all of this information gathered, formatted, and stored for you for free, you delete it?

Sorry to be blunt, Baron, but I can't see any rational reason for that. It's just really dumb. Terabytes of storage are a few hundred bucks, cost can't be the issue. Maybe you're implementing some useless web2.0-type trinkets - if so, that's also a mistake, and worse if it requires trashing the valuable part of the site.

Not to mention the disregard for the time and effort expended by the posters - do you think that telling people their posts will be deleted will encourage more participation and thoughful posting?

#42     May 21, 2008
  3. Are not closed threads read-only anyway?

The reference links in Spydertrader's Futures thread are broken as well as ALL attachments missing which are LESS than 6 months old!!

Please, those attachements and links are needed for current study (some of us are slower than others!). When will they be restored?

Thank you.

#43     May 21, 2008
  4. Gimme a fucking break! ET is to serious trading anaysis what the Cartoon Channel is to classical drama. The accumulated wisdom here doesn't amount to a bucket of lukewarm fermented spit because no one with any sense who has original profitable thoughts will post them here. ET is the Comedy Central of trading. Profitable systems are so truly simple that you could disclose them on one side of a postage stamp in 14 point font and have room left over for a rudimentary chart. A profitable system does NOT take 16 months and thousands of posts to explicate clearly. And you know who I'm talking about.

#44     May 21, 2008
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

The post above by Joe Dokes is the exact reasoning why i have asked if possible to trim some more fat by deleating all my posts over the last couple of years. Apparently it is not possible according to a fine person from the chat room called resinate.

Forums are going to be used sparingly and only for maybe a political comment and or a hardware, software comment. They will be rare. My trading is moving to the next level as i am loading the retirement account and sparingly (for now) helping a fine person with her trading desires. I have no further desire to expose the silliness of all the false claims from a few that have "USED" ET and its members as personal stable to hoodwink them of some cash later on. My ramblings surely have helped some to see past the silliness and move on to more truthful posters.

Moving to a level in trading that i let go to long has been easier than i thought possible, i want to thank a poster in the chat room by the name of banjo for his words of encouragement about going for more than we think possible. Many will flame me for saying i am going to next level and not spending much more time in chat during the day and forum later on. Well give it your best shots because i am above idiots, i many times wondered why i put up with such silliness. Those days are over.
    How many will believe i can and have made in a week what in years past took all year? Believe it. Today was a fine day, i was up to 40 cars a trade. here is a phrase i really like..............Go ahead, amaze yourself. I mean how cool is that?

Thats it, no more posts about trading or those that want to hoodwink others. My advice to new traders is to be prepared to spend a few years of no winnings, be prepared from some hard knocks, but be prepared to amaze yourself. You and only you can get tro where you can grab the brass ring on the merry-go round. TThe good news is the ring will be golden. So long guys, it was a blast. DONE..

#45     May 21, 2008
  6. Thank you for speaking up for us. I'm currently "stuck" in September of the futures thread because there are no attachments. I've invested months with this journal and I really need those attachments back! :)

#46     May 21, 2008
  7. The issue isn't so much about the deletion.

To me the issue is that there was NO WARNINGS by ET about the pending deletions until long after the fact.

In addition, ET management should have made the threads available in an easy downloadable format prior to the deletions.

Can't imagine how the above could have slipped by them unless they just don't care that part of the reason why ET is able to attract advertising dollars was due to many members posting useful education information regardless how simple or complex it was.

With that said, I will be SHOCKED if after Baron's talk about a new pending site involves a site that does not address the current problems:

* Multiple aliases

* Ease of those banned being able to return within minutes after being banned

* Moderators not being only able to moderate a particular forum section they are assigned to while not being able to moderate across all forum sections

* Members not being able to download their own message posts for safe keeping or backup sort'uv speak

* Many other problems that have consistently been discussed here in feedback section

----------

Many members have explained carefully and in-depth how other forums successfully deals with the above issues here in feedback over the years including myself.

----------

With that said, a few years ago I was advising many here in feedback that if they value any message post or their own stuff here at ET...

Print it or do a copy/paste into your own word file or whatever because ET either doesn't have the ability to do it or doesn't want to do it as in a downloadable format.

That's why I've saved (copy & paste) almost 2/3 of my own stuff or stuff I consider to be of value by members of value that no longer value ET.

Thus, I'm going to watch closely to see what new features this new site has to decide if I want to hang around here any more along with seeing if they actually do restore all the missing attachments.

Mark

#47     May 22, 2008
  8. I've been wondering for a while now, why is ET the best site? Why don't people just go elsewhere?

And when all the content is deleted, there won't be any reason to stick around.

#48     May 22, 2008
  9. I don't know anything about ET being the best and the best in what specific category because there are other trading forums that are the best in different categories.

For example, if you are a price action only trader that wants to know more about such a market approach...

ET is no longer the best place for that information especially since old content concerning that topic has been deleted and new content (stuff in recent months) has not been as informative as the old content.

Also, I do know many ET members are already members at other forums and using the same user name...

Splitting their time between different forums while some have now started posted their educational content elsewhere or in personal blogs.

Yes, it will be more interesting to see how how it will affect search engines that had already spidered the information and will now point traders to other forums or blogs that have good links on the topics.

For example, there's some Japanese Candlestick topics that have been deleted and search engines show dead links but a few of the topics are pointing at other forums with good links. :eek:

As someone said before, increasing server compacity is cheap in dollars...

Strange decision to delete useful content along with giving no warning along with expecting members to notify them about what deleted content to bring back.

My guess...most members won't bother any more considering most of the new content today tends to be arguing, personal attacks, one liners et cetera.

Simply, ET seems to be catering now to a type of trader that brings down the meaning of the words Elite Trader although I'm sure this is not what Baron wants.

Yet, there won't be a mass exodus of most good members that do value their content being written/shared here in the recent past but as more here about the deletions and its 3 year policy...

They will now post their good stuff elsewhere (another forum, personal blog or website) while still hanging out at ET for unimportant reasons (e.g. entertainment).

ET will continue growing but via a different type of ET member.

Mark

#49     May 22, 2008
  10. This is so frustrating, every time I find a good thread, the images are missing. I just found HolyGrail's thread today about P&F and of course no images. I can't imagine how that makes people feel. People like him and Spyder who spend hours putting this information online and poof! it's gone.

The lack of communication by ET shows that they don't know what to do. A simple "don't worry we'll bring everything back" would calm everyone down and keep people from leaving.

Personally I wouldn't invest hundreds of hours putting stuff some place that I didn't have control of. I think I'd write PDFs and post them. Or put it on a personal blog like wordpress or something. But that's me, I'm super paranoid about backups and the like.

BTW, anyone know of a simple way to archive a thread here? I haven't found a way. Other than to use a PDF printer drive to print each page to PDF. Even at 40 posts/page that is still a lot of PDFs (spyder's journal is over 200 pages when viewed 40 per page). I'd just like to save the text since the images and attachements are already gone, before the text is gone too.

#50     May 22, 2008