Daytrading With Moving Average Crossovers

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by larrybf, Mar 1, 2003.

1. now that's the best thing I've heard in a long long time. Maybe ever. That's what I'm talking about when I say thinking right. Thank You marketsurfer, hmmm, I can feel the crossed wires in my brain straightening out already. Well said.

#11     Mar 1, 2003
  2. free,

nice work.

surfer

#12     Mar 1, 2003

3. thank you. :) :) :)

#13     Mar 1, 2003
  4. BSAM

BSAM

IN CERTAIN TIMEFRAMES WITH CERTAIN MOVING AVERAGES, CROSSOVERS DEFINITELY DO WORK!.............(sometimes:p )

BSAM

#14     Mar 1, 2003
  5. Dragn

Dragn

MA crossovers aren't a valid tool to execute your trades recently. I think it's an indicator that can be used as a tool to confirm the trend of the market. MA shouldn't be traded as a signal. I don't see any edge behind this indicator.

It's just an average. It's just numbers crossing. What kind of edge is that!!!!! No meaning = No edge.

Sorry, No offense.

Dragn.:)

#15     Mar 2, 2003
  6. fxtrader

fxtrader

MA crossovers, listen if price is going down isn't it going to be obvious i.e. lower lows lower highs on a 15 minute chart for say 3-4 bars for example. If you wait for the crossover then the trend is already well underway and in this market probably about to stall. If your going to use MA's then use them for visual containment of the trend and maybe as a place to trail your stop but in my experience you can find better entry signals to catch a trend alot earlier.

#16     Mar 2, 2003
  7. RORL...

Dragn'... you're being too critical...

1. Moving Average in itself works for the indieviduual.

Dragn', surf's one of my friends and he's a good Gann trader so take it easy on him. The indicator of the crossover in itself doesn't work under systems but surf's got Gann Analysis as a backup so it works for him.

marketsurfer's in a different level same as Nitro or me ( :) ) so take it easy.

You're post is being too critical in a system trader terms....

Funny...

PS. Don't call me at the middle of the night to tell me your first post in ET... it's nice to have another GREAT trader post in ET.

#17     Mar 2, 2003
  8. >>MA crossovers aren't a valid tool to execute your trades recently. I think it's an indicator that can be used as a tool to confirm the trend of the market. MA shouldn't be traded as a signal. I don't see any edge behind this indicator.<<

Drgn, you are obviously replying from the top of your head. What about getting a set of moving averages up on your charts along the lines I suggested and then comment if you wish.

You may have noticed that I also mentioned in my previous post that there is a bit more to it. There is however a good reason why not everything is presented on a silver platter.

And, yes, it is much harder to be successful when buying in a DOWN market.

I would have thought that everyone would be already aware of that.

freealways

#18     Mar 2, 2003
  9. Dragn

Dragn

I agree it works for some people. No offense.

Dragn:D

#19     Mar 2, 2003
  10. Hi larrybf...

can you put up a chart(s) you used for the moving average crossovers THAT DIDN'T WORK?

...and also explain what type of MA's you were using...make sure the chart clearly has the date and time you traded it.

(someone in the past would post charts that had no dates and no times and no price axis on the emini...practically useless)

After that...I have a strong feeling that traders that do use moving average crossovers...exclusively and/or successful will be able to critique what your doing...

and then tell you what they are doing that's different from how your using MA Crossover.

From there...maybe you and that trader can move into one of those many free mIRC live realtime chat rooms so he/she can post their trades via the MA Crossover so that you can see if their method is truly working.

My point is this...there are so many versions of a MA Crossover methodology...

without any charts to show that it works or doesn't...

its difficult to know exactly what you or anyone else is talking about.

I'm not asking you for backtest results of it not working...I'm simply curious about exactly (visually via presentation of a chart) what you were using to say it didn't work for you.

In fact...can anybody put up some charts...especially those that said it works...

I do know that charts has been posted before in the past here at ET of successful trade setups via their version of a MA Crossover...but many of those people were practically attacked and run off EliteTrader after being grouped in with those that also said it works that refused to show any charts while in debates with the doubters.

Thus, you can use something like ttrader mycharts (it's free) to upload your charts and then send the link to your charts to larrybf via private message if your afraid of being attacked if you were to upload the same charts here in the open forum.

(ET doesn't have chart attachment mechanism via private message...reason for my recommendation of ttrader mycharts)

http://www.ttrader.com/mycharts/index.php

(there's a lot of good trade setups being shared via private message here at EliteTrader...that's a sign of what ET has become lately)

larrybf...I do know a trader that exclusively trades via a MA Crossover system...

what type of specifics to his methodology...I don't know and how long he's been using it...I don't know...also, he posts about 3-5 trades per day via his ma crossover trade setups...plural not singular.

However...from what I can tell...he's consistent with his winners.

He posts some of his trades in realtime on mIRC FinancialChat in the #IndexFutures free live realtime chat room...almost every trading day.

I'll send him a private message on Monday to see if he could respond to your charts...and he can also share his charts...in private...because he is a lurker here at ET and doesn't appreciate the crap (attacks on the strategy that often quickly leads into personal attacks) that goes on at EliteTrader when ever a trader post specifics to a trade setup in the open forum to someone that sincerely has questions about the strategy...

reason why I advise many...they should post the info via private message and they won't have to worry about the crap.

This way the traders that are sincere with their questions can find some answers or at least get a chance to better scrutinize it or improve on the strategy and those that obviously are not interested in learning a new trick...will remain that way...outside the box.

Simply, you have a valid concern and I would love to see someone be able to help you out so that you can see someone use it in realtme and provide charts and specific criterias to their trade setup.

P.S. I'm up late still...we are still partying after watching Roy Jones Jr. make history.

NihabaAshi

#20     Mar 2, 2003