Daytrading. The illusion of a TREND

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by alex.samant, Dec 12, 2007.

1. i think the higher timeframe bars represent trends better because, besides technicals, fundamentals come into play a lot heavier and human emotions are not as powerful as on the intraday charts. decisions are much more thought out. you can't really talk about order flow on the monthly chart .... at least that's what i'm pondering.

i think that for the sake of the discussion we should stick to the point and to daytrading specifically.

is there a point in trading trends intraday, or is it something else worth the attention?

#51     Dec 17, 2007
  2. Alex,

Most of what you have written so far has been so spot on that I wish you did not post it. :)

When I started looking seriously at Wyckoff's and Taylor's writings and turned off the MACD, the RSI, and all that other s&$%, that was the moment I became consistently profitable. The key is to try to figure out where traders place their stops, and then take advantage of the false breakouts.

That's all I do in my intraday trading.

#52     Dec 17, 2007
  3. It should be clear that there are no trends in intraday trading. Prices move at random and jump up and down without taking any direction.
    All experts agree on that.
    To prove they are right i add a chart for the ES for the last week. See for yourself, there are no trends at all that can be found.
    Daytrading trends is the biggest illusion that exists.

#53     Dec 17, 2007
  4. JimyJam

JimyJam

LOL, thanks for the laughs spikek500, you're always good for a few chuckles.

I could find a fuck'in trend either to save my life. :mad:

Jimmy Jam

P.S. Elite Trader has become such a wank job.

#54     Dec 17, 2007
  5. Boib

Boib

All Experts???:D

I guess I make money following an illusion.
    Whatever works.

#55     Dec 17, 2007
  6. JimyJam

JimyJam

LOL, spike500 was being about as facetious as you can get Boib.

JJ

#56     Dec 17, 2007
  7. Boib

Boib

me too:)

#57     Dec 17, 2007
  8. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

actually that chart proves my point, unless you really trade monthly and which case your an investor not a trader. if you look at that same length of data on even a daily chart you will see there is far more chop than not.

mb

#58     Dec 17, 2007
  9. Of course intraday has trends, keyword being trends and not trend, for the most part.

Adjust chart size if the volatility bothers you until you find what's comfortable.

Anek

#59     Dec 17, 2007
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

but here is my point - if anyone will take the free their mind and accept that the human eye only focuses on the moves which apparently make money - the so called trend.

you will see that there is far more data that chops than trends - this is what my eyes see. so why bother with a rear so called trend when their is so much chop.

you have to get used to making lots of small winning trades and loosing big being in the wrong direction of a so called trend. i sincerely hope someone can see my point, i think its valuable.

mb

#60     Dec 17, 2007