I will share with you something other traders have talked about and if you read Crabel's, Wyckoff's, Taylor's books you kinda get this feeling. If you daytrade (but even if you are a long term trader) there is no point in establishing a market trend and then trying to reveal it with the aid of moving averages, trendlines, MACD or any other trend following indicator. The reason is simple: A so called trend is said to have 3 phases, the first is the beginning phase, when the trend breaks out of a consolidation period, then the next is the body of the trend, a clean period of higher highs and higher lows in theory and then the last phase of the trend, the consolidation phase from which it could reverse or continue. Now, if you are a rational type of guy and you like to think of yourself as an objective dude, you would actually see that: a) the first phase, when the trend initiates is non tradeable as it usually takes place at the end of the previous trend. b) the body of the trend is actually the only one tradeable and everyone sees it. however, when everyone sees it, there are dangers around the corner. c) the end of the trend or the consolidation phase will only whipsaw you as you still consider that you are in a trend. So, as far as probabilities go, there is a 35-40% clean probability of the daily price action going the so called trend's way. Now, why on earth would you stick with your trend when 60% of the time you would get whipsawed? The SOLUTION to this is: Learn to "see" the market in 2, 3 day patterns, look for gaps, major reversal patterns, continuation etc. For example: A pattern that has a high probability and is actually found in the so called trend's body, or second phase is the higher high, higher low pattern. This implies that you have day 1, after which day 2 makes a higher high and a higher low, and then comes day 3, that has a higher directional probability to the upside. However, even this pattern can be a trick as the daily open and the placement of stop orders can turn the whole thing around. But still, on average it has more than 60% proability, wherever it is found, regardless of any trend. Other patterns also exists, like inside days, reversal gaps, etc, but each type of pattern has it's own rules and money management. When you get accustomed with more patterns you can trade more often and more efficient. Cheers yo!