Daytrading: Should I consider other software than NinjaTrader?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Laissez Faire, Jul 1, 2015.

1. xandman

xandman

The deal is plain as day. And, you sound like your getting victimized here.

I am not a a vendor. Just some guy who had too much time on his hands and have scoured every retail deal there is. I have had several jobs in sales/account management. You, sir, are the perennial "tire kicker". That's not to demean you. I can take months to decide in various product domains.

And you know what? At the end of the day, what matters most is that the cost model matches the strategy being used to minimize your costs. And, it fits your workflow so that you waste the minimum amount of time with back office work like accessing raw data to make post-trade analysis, allocating trades, re-tweaking your UI etc etc

Only you can answer this stuff through experience. A lot of these platforms have gotten the institutional stamp not only because of features and reliability, but it matches the workflow of a professional trader with reporting accountability to other departments and not some guy trading from the basement in his undershorts.

Go back thru every post I have made about broker/platforms, most will be in context of workflow and transaction model ----the area of my greatest concern.

For your own sake, call a broker/vendor and tell them "what you are trying to do". I do this periodically. I can't even remember why I am talking to you. Good Day.

#51     Jul 20, 2015
    Laissez Faire and Guile like this.
  2. Guile

Guile

Holy shit. Another forum meltdown. I read somewhere that 90 percent of communication is non verbal. If all ET members could just look deeply into each other's eyes, I don't think we would have all these petulant outbursts. J.P., TT isn't trying to diddle your bum more than any other vendor. The pricing is straightforward. If people don't consider their commissions and do the math, then they're screwing themselves over. Set up a little excel spreadsheet and figure out what's best for you.
    300 trades a month is $300 a month extra. You get ADL, a spreader, TT data and the prestige of being an AMP futures customer. Better than a 5 dollar footlong if you ask me.

#52     Sep 19, 2015
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  3. Guile

Guile

I'm gonna drop this hot track right here to mellow everyone out...

#53     Sep 19, 2015
  4. Guile

Guile

Listen to that shit. I wish I could "like" my own posts.

#54     Sep 19, 2015
    whiskers likes this.
  5. NT 7 has done well for me in back testing and simulator trading so far.

I think I will be upgrading to NT 8 though.

Anyone using it?

Oh, and I'm also interested in programming a few custom indicators as well. That seems fairly easy to implement with NT. Not sure how easy it is with other platforms?

#55     Feb 20, 2016
  6. shfly

shfly

You could take a look, test out Medved Trader, IB as a feed, or others like IQFeed. The Medved's are working on custom indicators/paintbars etc. etc., ask their support. If you don't wanna spring for $180 for a year, they have free limited use version.

http://forums.medvedtrader.com/

#56     Feb 22, 2016
    j_medved likes this.
  7. Any news here?

I'm a little behind on my schedule to put it mildly. I already opened an account with AMP, but haven't funded it yet. Will be funding it next week.

Still tinkering around with Ninja in demo mode and it does what I need it to do, but I'm not so keen on being tied down to NT Brokerage and AMP seems to offer a better deal generally with regards to margins and rates.

Reading around a little most people seem to think Sierra is a superior choice, but I get the impression that there's a learning curve.

#57     Mar 1, 2018
  8. shfly

shfly

See above. Not sure about AMP though, just ask support.

#58     Mar 1, 2018
  9. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

Have you looked at MotiveWave (www.MotiveWave.com) yet? Lots of supported brokers and data service providers (including AMP). 6 different editions to suit your trading style and budget, from basic starter charting software to full blown professional trading platform with all the bells and whistles. 14 day free trial: https://www.motivewave.com/free_trial.htm

#59     Mar 9, 2018
  10. ycomp

ycomp

I know I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to point out the rationale for NinjaTrader taking years upon years to release a new version.

Simply it is, anyone developing code for their platform (Indicators, Strategies) would have a hissy fit if they had to recode their stuff every year. This way they only need to recode every 5 years or however long it takes NT to release a new version.

Why they don't bother to keep things compatible is beyond me though - I can't think of any real reason beyond laziness. Most other companies are at pains to support previous versions.

Imagine for example if Java just decided that all code created by previous versions wouldn't be supported by the new version. It's unthinkable.

Or if Microsoft said ok, no software created before windows 10 will work on windows 10.

They can make a new paradigm sure, but well at the very least if they're not going to support older indicator code they should at least create an automatic translator tool so that code can be ported with minimal effort.

#60     Apr 22, 2018
    Laissez Faire and Xela like this.