Daytrading: Should I consider other software than NinjaTrader?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Laissez Faire, Jul 1, 2015.

1. You think so?

You're correct that I will not be doing any auto spreading and that my needs are humble, hence why I thought NT could suit my needs, but seeing how people seem to think I could to better, I'm looking for better alternatives.

Okay. I'll just wait to hear what AMP says then.

No equities. Futures only and one market only: ES.

What do you mean? :)

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't really put any time into this at all at this point. My efforts are currently concentrated at other parts of my trading model, but I do need to settle on a charting platform soon.

Trading 1 lot is completely fine if you have an excellent methodology that allows you to multiply your capital and staking. Without that, it doesn't really help you (quite the contrary) to be trading 10 lots instead. :)

#41     Jul 13, 2015
    xandman likes this.
  2. Well, I talked to AMP and while I thought maybe they had a sweet deal on CQG IC, it seems like I have to pay the full price for that platform. So, IC is out of the question for the time being.

I'm not sure I trust the person I spoke with, but in his words, AMP recommends X_trader, CQG QTrader, Sierra Charts or MultiCharts if I want free software. The latter being most recommended if I desired an extended demo period.

Didn't there use to be a review section on this site? I couldn't seem to find it now? :)

#42     Jul 13, 2015
  3. xandman

xandman

I wouldn't mind MC if only they provided the Easy Language version. There are many trading systems built on Easy Language that you could use as a starting point for automated trading.

See if they provide a free MC that is not the .Net version.

#43     Jul 13, 2015
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  4. Well, I did consider other software, but I think I'll stick with NT for now. It's perfectly fine at least for simulator trading and for constructing my model, something I approximate should take me at least another 6 months. Perhaps NT 8 is up and rocking by then.

I could add that I've received news on AMP that's made me slightly hesitant about signing up with them and since NT is a good alternative that's offered by many brokers and has in fact served me well in the past, I don't think I'll do any bad with this decision at this point.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to answer! :)

#44     Jul 14, 2015
  5. Handle123

Handle123

I would go whatever is free or cheapest just starting out, keep costs down as much as possible and platform with ladder, unless of course you already have automated system. Couple indicators at most, Sierra-many love it, Ninja is ok-slow on solving indicator problems and if you trying to scan many instruments-PCs freeze and they have limits, Ensign is garbage, Tradestation was better when you bought it, I did like Think or Swim and then place trades elsewhere, CQG use to freeze PC-too many ticks coming in.

#45     Jul 14, 2015
  6. I trade only one instrument: ES.

I typically use the following charts for ES, although I will be experimenting a bit with this: 1-minute/30-second, 1 volume chart, 1 tick chart.

I have had charts for NQ and YM, but it's not really needed. I may just as well use a quote board for this, I suppose.

What's new from last time I traded, is that I will most likely be using a few indicators, but nothing fancy.

I have another platform that I will be using for analysis (not charts), so considering that NT seemed to work fine for this type of use, I'll give it another shot. What I don't like is that orders reside on my computer though (this wasn't the case with IB, but I think it was/is with AMP).

#46     Jul 14, 2015
  7. xandman

xandman

I liked OECTrader though I've seen complaints about disconnects on the board.

I actually scalped with that platform on crappy wireless internet. The DOM is "crisp". Balances and margins are shown in real time. There are warnings for rollovers and the watchlist automatically rolls the new contract.

All I had to do was login and trade. Ninja 8 can be like that with some tweaks. But most important of all is the performance statistics. How can you refine your method if you don't have stats? You want to add a whole workflow just to do performance attribution/analysis?

#47     Jul 14, 2015
  8. What do you mean? NT has comprehensive performance statistics, no?

#48     Jul 14, 2015
  9. xandman

xandman

Yes, the Account Performance Tab. Table and charts customizable to product, account, period, and ATM strategy. This would take a couple of hours of your time to analyze raw transaction data. NinjaTrader 8 adds more drop down choices.

#49     Jul 14, 2015
  10. J.P.

J.P.

To quote Atticus Finch, "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view." In that light, I am trying hard to understand your position. But you need to help me out here, if you would.

First of all you say, "It's not a blatant attempt to pull the wool over your eyes." How is it less than blatant as they advertise it as being free and it is, in fact, not only NOT free but expensive, especially if you calculate the percentage increase in your per-contract round-turn costs over any (truly) free platform?

Secondly, you say, "Many platforms have an additional transaction fee" but this is not the issue.

Third, you say, "This incredible deal is only around because they will sunset the product and hope to get some of the customers into the newer $1000+ product." This, too, is irrelevant.

And then you--I'm guessing in apparent desperation and/or frustration (but why?)--state that I am "paranoid." Shame, shame on you. That was uncalled for. And it debases you. And you are better than that. And it begs to ask: Do you even know what these words mean? Where, exactly, do you see paranoia? I am just asking about AMP's free software. Do you know what "paranoid" means? And, more to the point, do you know the definition of "free"?

Now, I am still searching for a clear, unambiguous and unqualified answer: Is AMP's X_Trader free or not, and, I ask again, is AMP lying or not? Surely, xandman, you can grasp the larger issue that is the essence of these legitimate, fair, straightforward yes-or-no questions, can't you?

But maybe not, so I'll tell you: This has nothing to do with the cost or relative value of X_Trader and everything to do with the integrity of AMP.

Now if you can heed Mr. Finch while providing relevant input to this issue it may ameliorate your perception of paranoia.

#50     Jul 20, 2015