Daytrading in Europe

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by tradin33, Sep 29, 2006.

1. andread

andread

I would really like to know what the reason to do that would be. I live in Europe and I want to trade US equities. I even made an account in dollars.
    Why would you like to go the other way?

#21     Oct 1, 2006
  2. prop groups in europe largely grew out of the demise of the floors - when the floors closed, the locals went to the screens at these firms to trade the same or similar markets to what they traded on the floor - bund, cable, calendars etc.

Most prop groups will be focused on derivatives, but all the arcades and prop groups offer access to the equity markets - both via market access and via CFD's since CFD's are traded here much more widely than the underlying equity, for stamp duty reasons.

#22     Oct 1, 2006
  3. That's pretty much our opinion as well. We have a few who trade overseas markets, a bit of a hassle and very expensive when all is said and done. Primarily, we are not the "professionals" in those markets, local traders are, and regulatory issues are another factor.

Don

#23     Oct 2, 2006
  4. andread

andread

And they trade equities? Did they give a reason for that? If they are trading in Europe for them it would also mean to trade at night. Is your office open 24 hours? Hope they are trading Asian/Australian markets.
    Sounds a bit weird

#24     Oct 2, 2006
  5. tradin33

tradin33

I realize that it’s a different environment over there and it’s harder to find an “edge”, but some people that I have talked to recently, seem to think that the LSE is the tough market and that there are much better opportunities on the Frankfurt and Stockholm Stock exchanges………..does anyone have a second opinion on this…..are there any others that anyone likes?

#25     Oct 3, 2006
  6. zdreg

zdreg

does this mean that member firms are against the elimination of the stamp tax.

#26     Nov 13, 2006
  7. Hi guys,

I used to trade EURONEXT equities.

The reason why european stocks aren't interesting. Is because they simply don't move. 99% of the stocks on euronext move like msft qqqq siri etc...
    There's not a lot of volume, except of royal dutch and a few others (but then again, they don't move either).
    There are no ECN's. There are market makers of course as there are in ANY market. But they don't have an ID like in NASDAQ stocks for example.

The orderbook looks like:
    20.21 9821 x 20.22 7236

Technical analysis doesn't work at all. Except on timeframes longer than the Daily.

A 5 point move, which is normal on a lot of stocks intraday on the NASDAQ/NYSE, you'll only see on the daily or weekly chart on 99,999% of the EURONEXT stocks.

There's a boat load of options volume on many stocks though. I know some guys who make a market in options and they make serious money on a daily basis.

And then, if you wanna have a good, fast and reliable system. Costs are way higher then a broker in the US.
    I used prop trading software. The monthly fee was 1500 EURO (about 1875 USD).
    Commissions were 3EUR per trade. Whether you took out 100 shares or 20,000.

I don't know of any broker, prop firm in the US asking 1875 per month for the trading platform only.
    In europe you do get the direct connection to the exchange.
    But 90% of the brokers in the US have these direct connections to the exchanges and offer it for free.

Just my 2c,

-SL

PS.: Stamp tax is only in the U.K.

#27     Nov 13, 2006
  8. Maybe once the American exchanges take control of euronext and LSE and pay off some of the piliticians, things might change, like getting rid of stamp duty in the UK. With that accomplished and lower commissions, THEN it might be a viable daytrading market(s).

#28     Nov 13, 2006