Daytrading E-minis

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by reg, May 31, 2003.

1. illiquid,
    the reason for my question is because stocktraders, many scalpers, can say they can/are consistenly make 1k/2k a day.

I just wanted to see if the mini offers the same type of consistency.

thx

#31     Jun 10, 2003
  2. Should not be so hard if you are willing to take a risk and enter a position everytime you think you know where the ES will move and have about 100K in your account.

#32     Jun 10, 2003
  3. Agreed...

#33     Jun 10, 2003
  4. Nasdaq-

If you're looking for a mini firm, checkout www.greentreetrading.com too.

I've been trading mini's with them for the past month. So far they get a thumbs up from me.

Happy Trading.

uptik:cool:

#34     Jun 10, 2003
  5. Zino

Zino

This is so true.. funny but 100% right. More on that in a book I am currently reading: "Fooled by Randomness" by Author Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Great book :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ditch wrote:

To clarify this, i think market behavior can be best understood by comparing it to a bunch of lunatics, who just escaped from an asylum, and right now find themselves lost in the middle of the night in an unkown metropole. You never know how they're gonna react, where they're going to or what they are going to do. Just try fo follow them as best as you can. That's my advice on trading e-mini's, disregard news, just focus on the market moves itself. Only thing you have to know about economic data is at what time it will be released. The market's reaction to it is completely unpredictable for any sane person. Not to mention political developments.

#35     Jun 10, 2003
  6. If you can consistently make $100 trading 1 contract, all you have to do is to trade 10 contracts to make $1000.

The challenge is not the math ... the challenge is the consistency.

#36     Jun 10, 2003
  7. Kap

Kap

I myself day trade the indices, and I stongly advise newbies not even to take a sniff at this unless u paper trade it for a year, then take a look at your loss, if u've learnt something papertrade for another year and if u break even then it may show some promise. If you do dive in use only 5 % of your capital as margin, prepare to lose, u will learn nothing until u lose.we'll be waiting for u shakin those trees.

:eek:

#37     Jun 10, 2003
  8. Kermit

Kermit

…and the challenge is in the psychological ability to handle a 10 fold increase in position size.

Kermit

#38     Jun 10, 2003
  9. AllenZ

AllenZ

Changing position size definately has a mental effect. I have noticed that each new level of size I get to comes with its own learning curve.

It is my opinion if you can start at 1 contract and add 1 every 4-6 months then you have a decent shot at getting to 10. How long will that take. 3-5 years.

AllenZ

#39     Jun 10, 2003
  10. agora

agora

Ok, here's the question. How easy is it to lose $1000/day trading the mini's?

And for those of you who are now at least making $1000/day, how long did it take and how much did you lose before you got there?

Thirdly, for those that are successful, what would you consider to be your greatest strength in terms of psychological make up that allows you trade it? Steadiness, risk taker, intellect, strong will, obcessive etc.

Just curious.

#40     Jun 17, 2003