Daytrading breakouts in the ES

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by smitty, Jun 19, 2003.

1. himself

himself

Nothing to do,

"to Bed,
    to sleep,
    perchance to dream."

I did notice that the ESTX50 showed a little more life than the ES.
    With tomorrow being triple witching which might cause whippyness in the ES, I might be looking to use the ESTX50 in the morning session.

#11     Jun 20, 2003
  2. dpanic

dpanic

yes estx looks like it "could" break the range up but it's pretty limp and certainly no conviction over on dax. probably have to wait for the US markets to open, even then don't see today as a very high odds day to trade. think I'm gonna grab a nap.

#12     Jun 20, 2003
  3. dpanic

dpanic

I think db made a good point yesterday during the chop about needing to see some evidence of a trend before jumping on one of these. when you've got a day or period of time that's drifting you really shouldn't force a trade. One of the few indicators I use is ADX to help me pick out a trending market. That along with keeping updated trendlines continuously so I'm concious of where we're at trendwise.

#13     Jun 20, 2003
  4. dpanic

dpanic

I didn't take it but dax had a trigger above 3261. just a hair too late for me.

#14     Jun 20, 2003
  5. himself

himself

Following the bar with the high of 3261, I can see the lower high, but I don't see a lower low.

#15     Jun 20, 2003
  6. problem was during the pullback, the MA turned down, defintaly not a good sign, and after a few points in + territory, you would have got stopped out. I show the the pivot high on the 6 bar at 3261.50 not the 5th bar at 3261.00, anyone else?

#16     Jun 20, 2003
  7. dpanic

dpanic

fwiw.. chart attached. 5:00am bar, hi 3261, next bar lower hi and lower lo. was a single bar pullback(bad). The next bar did pull back to 3258 but I'd not of stopped out that quickly. therefore depending upon stop management from there it went to a hi of 3284.

So this one was marginal and I have no regrets about not taking it but it actually would of been a winner.

#17     Jun 20, 2003
  8. himself

himself

The Stock Traders Almanac says in 20 yrs 1981-2001
    this day has been up 71% of time.

Whether that has much/any predictive value, who knows?

#18     Jun 20, 2003
  9. himself

himself

the 2:25 bars in ES and Ym above BB

#19     Jun 20, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The MA is wrong.

#20     Jun 20, 2003