DayTraders Must Stay Connected!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vista, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Or perhaps the application itself recognizes when the data feed is lost and attempts to reconnect and kill the prior session.

I've never had to physically type in a login and password when my connection dropped. My guess is that eSignal and IB are robust enough to reconnect on the new connection behind the scenes utilizing a stored login and password.

Maybe I was not clear before. It is not a completely seamless transition. You can see on the application that the data feed was lost, but once the DSL switches over the application reconnects and you are back in business. So I'm sure it is an application specific functionality.

#21     Feb 4, 2009
  2. Vista

Vista

No trolling, just a lack of knowledge in this particular area. I have no idea if 100% connectivity is impossible, thats why I'm asking.

This paragraph from Barracuda makes it look to a layman like its possible to have seamless internet connectivity.

"The Barracuda Link Balancer is an affordable and powerful solution for routing and managing traffic across multiple Internet connections. Designed to scale for high bandwidth requirements and provide business continuity for an organization of any size, the Barracuda Link Balancer optimizes the use of multiple Internet links, such as T1s, T3s, DSL and cable connections from one or multiple Internet service providers. Capable of automatic failover in the event of link failure, the Barracuda Link Balancer helps assure that your network is always connected to the Internet."

http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/products/link_overview.php

#22     Feb 4, 2009
  3. Vista

Vista

Thanks for the input, but what I'm after is a solution to a problem that happens far more frequently than what your suggesting.

#23     Feb 4, 2009
  4. Vista

Vista

Yes, you have auto login.

#24     Feb 4, 2009
  5. Here's my "accidental" solution to this issue.

I've recently gotten tired of so many damn wires around here and decided to get rid of almost all the "cat-5's" and wired routers and switches. Ideally, I'd use internal pci-based wireless cards but most of my pci slots are used by video cards.

So I decided on external USB "wireless adapters". Now, don't laugh, because they're very reliable and as mentioned usb!

Easy to install software and can be removed anytime. I've got 8 pc's hooked up this way and it's working very well.

But here's the best part.

If you have a wireless dsl and a wireless cable router, then set them up with the same encryption password and you can then use your wireless adapter to switch from one to the other in 5 seconds. Peace of cake! Yes, you have to switch over manually but it's 2 mouse clicks.

#25     Feb 4, 2009
  6. Vista

Vista

Thanks for the idea, but wouldn't a Dual Wan with auto switch-over still be the most efficient method?

#26     Feb 4, 2009
  7. Vista

Vista

ellevers,

Do you use this product? Is this just another Dual Wan setup or does it operate differently?

#27     Feb 4, 2009
  8. It depends...wireless or wired?
    Are the computers attended to 24hrs/day?
    What if the dual wan breaks down? Do you have a 2nd unit?
    I have at least 2 of *everything*.

#28     Feb 4, 2009
  9. Vista

Vista

Alright, today I started from scratch on this topic and have done quite a bit of reading about it. I've learned buzz words such as Bandwidth Aggregation, Link & Load Balance, Concurrent Access, Quality of Service (QoS), ISP Failover, etc.

My conclusion thus far:

Sucre's XINCOM DPG502 Dual WAN is the best solution, although not the one I was hoping for, because unfortunately, I think turdlehead is correct. There's no getting around the re-login.

Thanks, and if anybody can give a better solution, please do.

#29     Feb 4, 2009
  10. I think turdlehead is one of those folks, who, if they don't like how things are going, take their ball and go home. Sheesh. Lighten up guy. Not everyone on these forums is a technical whiz. Believe it or not, some of this stuff can get pretty complicated.

As to the OP, do you use IB by chance? If so, you shouldn't have any problem getting logged on again automatically if there is a switchover. And yes, turdlehead, you can add me to your list of those who MUST be hallucinating when my connection switches over seamlessly. I'll be sure and have a talk with it tonight and tell it it can't continue doing what it has been doing, 'cause an expert on ET said so.

Think about this. How many times have you gotten a dreaded pink checkerboard on TWS (i.e. lost connection) only to have it come back without you having to do anything? More hallucinations I guess.

Again, to the OP - I use a dual WAN system, specifically the XINCOM unit mentioned in another post, and haven't had any problems.

#30     Feb 4, 2009